• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking 2 pc's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I need to share an internet connection between two computers, Ive been reading the stickied networking guide in this section, the only setup that I can see working is this one

I currently have a USB DSL modem, how expensive are ethernet DSL modems. I have a linksys "Etherfast Cable/ DSL Router" If I were to obtain an ethernet modem would it be as simple as connecting it to the Router and linking the router via Cat 5 cables to each pc that needs a connection. Practicaly the same as the following image

But this means that I will need to pay for an extra IP from my ISP which costs £5 a month and I need to minimize costs as much as possible, I was also informed that my ISP uses PPPoA, I dont know how this differs from the required PPPoE.

The second config that seemed compatible is the above configuration. Is my router suffecient for this setup, Is it possible to get some kind of converter to change a USB modem to ethernet and if so where would I get one.

thanks in advance

RIPSTER

thanks

Just buy a router (that doesn't have a DSL modem integrated) and plug in to your ISP provided DSL modem. You will not need to pay for extra IP addresses because the router will assign all your systems private IP addresses, while the router has the one IP assigned by your ISP. This is called NAT.

If you're ISP uses PPPoA (point to point protocol over Asynchronous Transfer Mode), then a modem that only does PPPoE (point to point over ethernet) will not work with your ISP because ATM and Ethernet are totally different things.

And for your second question: Newegg. Wait, I don't think they ship to England, but I'm sure you can search for the same thing some other place.

Im just a bit confused by your explenation, Do you mean the current router I have (linksys) will eliminate the need to buy another IP or do you mean another router that I buy.

What kind of router Am I looking for that will be able to take the usb connection from my USB DSL Modem?

If you're ISP uses PPPoA (point to point protocol over Asynchronous Transfer Mode), then a modem that only does PPPoE (point to point over ethernet) will not work with your ISP because ATM and Ethernet are totally different things.

How can I determine if a modem is PPPoA or PPPoE. And does this apply to routers?

thanks

Simply..

there are public and private IP addresses.

Your ISP will charge you if you want more then one Public IP address. (Private IP ranges are 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x (not sure of the exact range) I think there are some others as well like 169 but not 100% suere been a long time since Net+ )

If you use a router, you will get one public and every PC connected to the router will be given a private IP address.

In your situation what is probably easiest is just buying a crossover cable.

Have your USB modem plugged into a computer thats always on (PC1). Connect the two PCs via crossover cable ethernet port to ethernet port.

Then on the computer with internet(PC1), click the network connections icon of the control panel (classic view) right click your USB internet connection, and select share this connection. (For more information Microsoft has a detailed KB I am sure, called Internet Connection Sharing or ICS)

If you are running something other than windows someone else will need to explain. Most likely will involve bridging the connections.

169 is APIPA, which is used to get ahold of a DHCP server to get a real address assigned.

RIPSTER, you can convert that USB connector on your modem, to an RJ45 connector using the device that I linked to in my previous post. You can then connect your router to your modem and hook your computers up to the modem.

You can also use ICS, like Neur0mancer said, to make one of your computers act like a router. You would then need a crossover cable instead of that USB to RJ45 converter, which might cost the same depending on the length and where you get it (it's best to build it yourself). But if you go with ICS, your router will just be rotting on the shelf.

As for a modem that supports PPPoA, I doubt you'll find one in you local computer store. You'll have to search for one online. I found two cisco modems on newegg that support PPPoA and they both cost $150-$200. ATM is an internet backbone/WAN technology. It's not too common for home users to need to buy ATM equipment, hence why your ISP provided it for you.

Will the USB to RJ45 converter create issues with speed and performance, I thought those converters only change a pc's usb port to an ethernet port or will it work the same for my modem. Also am I going to need a usb converter becuase it seems the usb to ethernet converter has the same connection as my modem (male/female?)

thanks

I found this converter, it seems alright, but im still worried about the speed being degraded, it says via usb 2.0 it is 10/100mb speeds, what would the connection on my usb modem be classed as.

btw the cable on my usb modem is built in so its not possible to remove it and use another cable with a different gender connection on the end, although if needed I have another spare USB modem that can change usb cables.

Let us start here,,,,and maybe we can help you out.
What is the model/mfg model of your linksys cable/usb/etherfast (router/modem ?)

The model is befsr41 v2

thanks

network over USB always creates performance issues since it's USB which always eats CPU

How will it affect CPU if the usb modem with the converter attached is not going to be connected directly to a pc but instead via a router. Will it still cause speed issues?

Back