• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning off thermal compound.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

Im thinking of lapping my Ninja and PD 930. I cant find isopropyl alcohol nearby my place. Can I use ethanol to clean the thermal compound(AS5)? I cant get Artic Cleaner too. Btw, is it safe to lap CPU? I don't mind voiding the warranty but is the chance of killing it high? I'm desperate to lower my temp. Thanks!

normal rubbing alcahol should work, as long as its @90% or higher alcahol. and you should only lap your cpu if it has a heatspreader and not an exposed core.

Why go buy something when your mom probably has something in her bathroom that will work just as well. I just use the nail polish and it always gets all the AS5 right off.

In the electronics accessories section at Home Depot you'll find a spray Contact Cleaner that works really well in blowing every last bit of the stuff away and then completely evaporating, leaving no residue.

Pleas do NOT use "nail polish remover" or "rubbing alcohol." They both generally contain random chemicals that leave harmful residues behind. What people mean when they reference those two are "Acetone" and "isopropyl alcohol," respectively.

Thanks for reply guys. I think I have found some cleaners. How to prepare my pentium D 930 for lapping. Can i cover the bottom and side with normal tapes and then start lapping?

arctic clean works well but do not spend money on it unless you really want to, good 90+% alcohol has the exact same effect...

wyemarn said:
Thanks for reply guys. I think I have found some cleaners. How to prepare my pentium D 930 for lapping. Can i cover the bottom and side with normal tapes and then start lapping?

Don't use normal tape (like green label Scotch tape) to mask the pins and CPU PCB, since it could create an electrostatic discharge. If you have to use tape, you should use electrical tape. Below is a guide to lapping CPU IHS's, and it recommends that you use the little foam square that came with your CPU to protect the pins.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/15897-info-want-lap-your-p4s-a64s.html

I just finished lapping my Ninja and Pentium D930 IHS. I didn't managed to get mirror finsih but I got around 5C temperature drop for cpu. I'm quite satisfied with my work.

I actually used a touch of methanol - or better known as eclipse optical cleaning solution. I used it on CCD sensors in my digital camera's so its GOTTA be sensitive enough for the metal side of a socket 478 P4.

sunrunner20 said:
Pleas do NOT use "nail polish remover" or "rubbing alcohol." They both generally contain random chemicals that leave harmful residues behind. What people mean when they reference those two are "Acetone" and "isopropyl alcohol," respectively.
Well said. Most nail polish removers contain additives to keep the lady's nails from drying out and becoming brittle. You don't want glycerine on your cooling surfaces do you?

Ethanol (the kind you drink) can be "rubbing alcohol" too. Have a bottle here so labeled. It will work as a paste cleaner but not as well as Isopropyl.

Back