• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radeon 8500 VERY toasty!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disabled
well i decided to take a look at my card to see why i couldn't get it past 300/600 and it looks like heat is a majior issue! I felt the ram heatsinks and almsot burnt myself! So i didn't even think of tuching the core.;)

Holy crap 300/600!!! Arent the Processor and the memory supposed to work at the same mhz for this video card to get the best results? I seen 306/306 the highest clocked for that card. But dont quote me on that cause Im not 100 percent sure.

Default said:
well i decided to take a look at my card to see why i couldn't get it past 300/600 and it looks like heat is a majior issue! I felt the ram heatsinks and almsot burnt myself! So i didn't even think of tuching the core.;)
Try a peltier and a fan over the heat sink, or switch to water cooling.

mount a nice 80mm or 92 mm fan next to it, ramsinks realy dont work to well without airflow...

well it seams that i realy wouldn't be able to go much higher anyways cause i tried 300/610 from a cold boot but i still got majior artifacts. so i'm happy with 300/600:D Not much performance increase is seen anyways from overclocking the card because the card is still held back by drivers.

Default said:
well it seams that i realy wouldn't be able to go much higher anyways cause i tried 300/610 from a cold boot but i still got majior artifacts. so i'm happy with 300/600:D Not much performance increase is seen anyways from overclocking the card because the card is still held back by drivers.

Maybe when the new drivers that come out you'll get that "extra."

EclipseJP said:
Holy crap 300/600!!! Arent the Processor and the memory supposed to work at the same mhz for this video card to get the best results? I seen 306/306 the highest clocked for that card. But dont quote me on that cause Im not 100 percent sure.

300/300 is really 300/600 as the mem is DDR so just double it in effect.

cisco Kid:D

What? You ALMOST burnt yourself? Come and sit your finger on the back of my card for ONE second, then tell me that your card burns!:cool:

just thought i'd put in my 2 cents.
running my 8500 @ 310 580 and heat doesn't seem to be a real problem got a big system fan blowing on it and the ram chips stay pretty cool. if i take the core or the mem any higher i get artifacts in quake III and lower 3dmark scores. at 310 580 i'm getting 3dmark 2k1 scores in the low 6000's (6180 last time i checked) pretty good considering my outdated system......

____________________________________________________"classic" slot-a 750@977 (8.5x115)
gigabyte ga-7vm
512 mg pc 133
radeon 8500
onboard sound (don't laugh i'm working on it)
western dig 10 gig 7200 rpm
pioneer 16x40 dvd
hp 10x4x32

Back