• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Quadro Plex 1000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isn't that just an external video card? it says it is openGL2.0 and dx9.0c compatible. I don't see why you couldn't play games on it. Although its price/performance would probably be horrible.

UglyChild said:
And its been out for at least 6 months.

Oh my bad, I just saw a review for it... it played the latest games something like 20 x fastest than the current best video card, the price is totally outrageous but hey if your rich :) Also a thought if something like this is possible, how long until it becomes main stream.

Also I did a search for it before I posted and it hadn't been mentioned on the forums before...

Its meant to be used as a crunch machine for CGI and HD movie makers developers like Pixar. A bit pricey to play games on it.

I dont think its been posted here, just generally speaking its been out for a while, thats all.

I dont see how you can play games on it when it has a USB and FireWire connection to it, talk about bottleneck.

I would buy just for the Bling factor so i can look at it..lol

Last edited:
It actually uses a proprietary pci-e x16 card with a 6.5' cable to connect to the pc. It would probably be like buying a quadro card to game on, pay a lot for mediocre performance and amazing tech support.

That cable is a bottle neck, so its pointless to game on it. For every 1m of wire, is 3.3ms of delay. And if its a server rack mount, and the desktop is 10m away.. thats a life time of delay.

Last edited:
UglyChild said:
That cable is a bottle neck, so its pointless to game on it. For every 1m of wire, is 3.3ns of delay. And if its a server rack mount, and the desktop is 10m away.. thats a life time of delay.

Swapping from a crt to an lcd monitor would give you more lag than that 3.3ms delay. I honestly don't think that the fact it is an external solution is going to cause poor game performance but rather the drivers backing it up or some type of hardware limitation similar to the way quadro cards have a soft limit on directx performance.

What?? Monitors have nothing to do with this.

The cable is the bottle neck between the GPU and the CPU. It would be like playing game FEAR or Oblivion on a P3 E-Machine with on board 2mb VGA card.

Imagine playing CS Source with a ping of 5sec.

Looks like a great way to add 4 more screens to your desktop LOL. At the rate these graphics cards are going pretty soon we will be plugging a mb into our video card.

UglyChild said:
What?? Monitors have nothing to do with this.

The cable is the bottle neck between the GPU and the CPU. It would be like playing game FEAR or Oblivion on a P3 E-Machine with on board 2mb VGA card.

Imagine playing CS Source with a ping of 5sec.

NVIDIA said:
NVIDIA Quadro Plex 1000 is designed to deliver absolute maximum performance, the highest image quality, and ultimate display resolution so professionals can visualize the largest seismic datasets, create photorealistic, interactive designs or natively drive a digital 4k projection system.

To discuss the merits of this device for gaming is an exercise in reductio ad absurdum, comparable to discussing the use of a stealth fighter jet for doing traffic reports or Alpine rescue.

For Autocad or 3D studio max in a multi-user, multi-monitor production environment, this device would serve as a significant facilitatation of the creative drive and therefore, a phenomenal enhancement to productivity.

I like to look at it this way: Gaming is akin to sailing, i.e., a hole in the water into which you throw money, whereas productivity computing (content creation, manufacturing design) is like shipping, i.e., the lucrative (albeit risky) pursuit of commerce.

hafa said:
To discuss the merits of this device for gaming is an exercise in reductio ad absurdum, comparable to discussing the use of a stealth fighter jet for doing traffic reports or Alpine rescue.

For Autocad or 3D studio max in a multi-user, multi-monitor production environment, this device would serve as a significant facilitatation of the creative drive and therefore, a phenomenal enhancement to productivity.

I like to look at it this way: Gaming is akin to sailing, i.e., a hole in the water into which you throw money, whereas productivity computing (content creation, manufacturing design) is like shipping, i.e., the lucrative (albeit risky) pursuit of commerce.

Tooooo.....many.....big.....words....cannot....comprehend:confused:
J/k

Back