• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downloading new drivers? Rule of thumb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Basically i've grown accustomed to only upgrading drivers when

1. The update applies to a problem i have
2. Fixes a known problem/exploit
3. Adds performance overall in games/applications

If none of those apply i usually stick with my current drivers because like the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it."

For example when i upgraded from 6.7 to 6.8 i got this nasty texture oddity that occured randomly =( but then when i upgraded to 6.9 all was back to normal.

I wouldn't want to upgrade to something and have something similar happen again.

Any ideas?

There's no harm in using older drivers right? Like for example it wont hurt the card or anything like that right?

Presuming no bugs, there shouldn't be any harm in using older drivers.

But we are overclockers, and isn't our motto "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is"?

Eh, I usually try to upgrade to the latest. There has been a couple of times where the upgrade actually decreases peformance (I'm talking vid drivers), so I just uninstalled and reinstalled the older version.

Sometimes, and especially with vid drivers, the newer drivers aren't just fixing bugs, but they are optimizing and increasing performance or perhaps adding features. Not always, but often.

Gnufsh said:
Presuming no bugs, there shouldn't be any harm in using older drivers.

But we are overclockers, and isn't our motto "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is"?
mine is that motto only extended. "If it aint broke, fix it until it is. then add duct tape, repeat first two steps"

Back