• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wee lines for the Wii

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I was at Worst Buy, Target, the mall and Wal-Mart between noon and 4 on Satuday the 18th and saw 2 tents and groups waiting each at Worst Buy*and Wal-Mart, none at the mall and Target. Perhaps because there will be a lot more Wiis than PS3s? Disappointing to say the least..... :/

actually I have found them to be sold out everywhere near me...hoping to get one from Amazon. Supposedly though there should be enough to meet demand so if not this week the next or the next people should be able to get them....but thats what people were saying about launch.

Just got back with my Wii in my hands. :)

Wally World(Lawrenceville/Suawanne, GA). Originally was told they were going to allow the line to start at 8pm inside. Friend called me and told me a line was going already, some ppl started one at 6am and it was outside. He was there at 2pm and was 13th. I got there at 4pm and was 22nd. They had 27 units. Lots of ppl kept lining up well after the cut-off but they all seemed like good sports about it.

Line was great and friendly. Was cold, but atleast no wind or rain. Had one moron who had come around at 11am and left a chair. He showed back up around 9pm thinking he had a spot, LOL. The line quickly told him where he could stick his chair.

Drove by a BB on way home, looked like about 25ppl or so there. No idea how many there getting.

Note to all: Update your Wii the second you get it.

The BB not too far away sold out 40 of them in 2 mins...

I guess I'll just wait for the next firmware Wii model.... as long as I get one before Christmas break.

Umm, Holy ****! Wtf is this firmware update? My Wii just up and freaking DIED?????!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I just got it all hooked up, put in the start up info. Went into the Make my Mii editor. Saved him and it drops him in this room I guess you can look at him. I hit the B-button and wham power shuts off on my Wii. It won't turn back on. No power light at all. Man if its dead from some **** like that I am really NOT happy.... what the hell does N have any debuggers working for them?

RedDragonXXX said:
Why aren't there pics all over the net of people waiting in lines like there were for PS3?
Because there is a lot more of them out there and people are expecting to wait till today to get theirs. Most places in my area have already sold out so I guess they really didnt make enough after all. Sure there werent lines like the PS3 but they sure went fast in my area. I am sitting in front of our kmart(the last store that has the wii) and they have four here and I already got my ticket and I got a friend here with me. The doors open at 8:00 so another hour and a half and I clear. Anyway, I'm through rambling.

Daleon said:
Umm, Holy ****! Wtf is this firmware update? My Wii just up and freaking DIED?????!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I just got it all hooked up, put in the start up info. Went into the Make my Mii editor. Saved him and it drops him in this room I guess you can look at him. I hit the B-button and wham power shuts off on my Wii. It won't turn back on. No power light at all. Man if its dead from some **** like that I am really NOT happy.... what the hell does N have any debuggers working for them?
Kind of the same thing happened to my xbox. playing amped, all of a sudden, it shuts off. turned it back on, and no matter what cd or game I put in, it kept saying, please insert a dvd, cd, or xbox game disk only. please remove foreign disk and try again. since then I always wait a year to buy a console, gives them some time to work out the little kinks like that.

just got back an hour ago with my Wii :D went to 2 wal marts first, #1 got 27 Wiis and #2 got 12 Wiis, we knew we werent getting any of those so we just headed for target and got there around 7pm and i was 19th in line. They got 210 Wiis in and im pretty sure they all got sold as soon as they opend....long long night for me but the people there were really fun

Yeah I got in line at a local target at 6, when they handed out tickets (about 7:30) I was about 2 spots too far back, so I went to a local circuit city that was a little more hidden away than some other stores and things looked good, they didnt open until 10 and a sign was out saying that had 20 Wiis (6th in line)..about 2 hours later an employee kindly comes outside and tells everyone they sold the Wiis at around 7am. Thanks Circuit City. No Wii for Mii..

Daleon said:

Take it back to the store you bought it from. Maybe they'll exchange it for you.

Other than the report of that 1 store getting 210 Wii's it doesn't sound like there are that many more Wii's than PS3s. My Game Crazy got 9, my EB got 10 and it sounds like large retailers are getting between 10 and 30.

Not exactly 2 million as reported. Maybe 2 million before the end of the year, heh.

Next shipment mine comes in, so I'm not too worried, but the unavoidable shortage is here just like every other system. Question is how long will it last.

RedDragonXXX said:
Why aren't there pics all over the net of people waiting in lines like there were for PS3?

Imho...Sony marketing/promo. They've always done well with this since the PS1 took the market-share by storm and put Sega out of business. A good example is my Brother-in-law. He was not into video games at all until "Sony" came out with one. He likes Sony product in general, and they were always known to be of great quality for all electronics, so I would also say there is prolly a huge piece of their market-share that are sold just on their brand-name. Also, I'm sure people have had enough of camping in lines. Especially the ones who got their PS3. As well as the one's who didn't. They figure, luck is luck, why waste the time in line? If your gonna get it, your gonna get it. If enough people felt this way, it could explain why they're just strolling in. I noticed also the price...not very profitable, with a high supply, for Ebay sellers. One more thing caught my eye, if there is so many more than PS3s, how come BB only has 15 per store in my fairly big city, when they had 50 PS3s?

Oni said:
Take it back to the store you bought it from. Maybe they'll exchange it for you.

Exchange it with WHAT?

Anyway... I don't think there's a need to really stand in line all night for these things. Nintendo put out over a million at launch and they'll probably have a million more next week. It's called "ramping." I think they just melted down all the left-over gamecubes and turned them into Wiis. The hardware is ridiculously similar. So they're not really facing the development and high production costs that Sony is.

And I believe they said FOUR million by year's end. I believe them for the above reasons.

Will Eatforfood said:
wait..what? Target had 210 Wiis??? And walmart had around 20 ish? Something doesn't flow.

yea how messed up is that, in fact Target got more PS3's then wal mart had Wii's....

Daleon said:

You can also phone Nintendo and they will replace it for you. They've been really good about that. I've read reports on Kotaku regarding two people w/ dead consoles. One of them got a hold of Nintendo and they are going to replace his console for him for free within a few days.

Give Nintendo a call, and be patient. They'll sort you out :)

Back