Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

What credit card do you use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 11-19-06, 02:38 PM Thread Starter   #1
SeasonalEclipse

What credit card do you use?

Hm, so iv been looking into getting a decent credit card. Something which doesnt charge a monthly fee even without usage. I basically want something for online purchasing. So.. what do you guys use?

The Beast(Main)- P5QL/EPU, Q9550, 4GB DDR2 800, 2X320GB Perp, 750GB Cavalier,8800GT(for now) Corsair 750 Watt PSU, Enermax server case, 2x Dell 1908WFP, Vista Home
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51210
SeasonalEclipse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 03:20 PM   #2
EvilCloudStrife
R. Kelly is my roll model

10 Year Badge

capital one. they were the first and only to offer me a credit card

$300 limit, 19.9% APR

gotta start somewhere though. apparently the "capital one platinum" card means nothing at all.

RAM: OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) - UCCC - 1:1 - 264Mhz - 3-4-3-8 - 2.68V
Videocard: Evga 7800GT 256-P2-N518 (500/1200)
DVD: NEC 16XDVD+/-RW
Hard Drives: (1)Western Digital 7200 250GB 16MB SATA2, (2)Western Digital 7200 250GB 16MB SATA2, Western Digital 7200 200GB 8MB IDE, (1) Westen Digital 7200 250GB 2MB IDE, (2) Western Digital 7200 250GB 2MB IDE, (3) Removable Western Digital 7200 250GB 2MB USB2 Enclosure
PSU: OCZ 520W SLI Powerstream

Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoloy card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO
EvilCloudStrife is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 03:53 PM   #3
kraven

Have you tried doing a search on this topic? I think I've seen a few on here. Either way, I don't currently use a credit card because they're freakin' evil. It's so easy to overspend and go way too far into debt.

If you are looking to build credit, ask at your bank. They should have cards you can get where you put a deposit on it and then that's your spending limit. The depost and all that still stay yours and the APR would be much lower than Capital One.

I've used Capital One in the past and their customer service sucked until I sent them info about being in the military and they reduced my APR to something like 5%. Still, check your bank to see what they have to offer. As for Visa or Mastercard or whatever, doesn't matter. Any good business would accept whatever form of payment you have.

Old 11-19-06, 04:08 PM   #4
Rattle

Visa
Discover(sucks)

HEAT
Rattle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 04:10 PM   #5
SunRedRX7

Citi Dividend Platinum Select. Earn 2% cash back on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, convenience stores, and utilities including cable, plus 1% on all other purchases.

I don't know or care what the APR is because I only spend what I have so I never carry a balance. This is the way you to should also use the card. Don't believe the theory you can't build credit unless you carry a balance, my mortgage and car loan beg to differ(and the pile of credit card offers I shred daily).

SETI@home, Climate Prediction, Einstein@Home, Predictor@home, LHC@home
Click here to visit The BOINC/SETI section of the forums
Click here to visit The Team32 Folding section of the forums

Heatware
SunRedRX7 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 05:26 PM   #6
raevien

Multiple mastercards all the way
raevien is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 08:16 PM   #7
b1029384756

Capital One doesn't charge a fee, but they have horrible customer service. They will approve people with no credit, though.

PNC is decent, but I don't know how they are with first-timers, since that's my second credit card.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Intel P4 2.6C@3120, Thermalright SP-94, Vantec Tornado 92mm@12V, Swiftech MCX-159R, Microcool southrbidge/PLL/MOSFET sinks, 1GB OCZ PC3500 Plat. Ltd.@5:4, 2-2-2-5, Super Talent memory cooler, ATI Radeon 9800XT@415/370, ATI Silencer 3, Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350, SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro, US Robotics 5610B, 3Com 3CRDAG675, TT Xaser III V1000A, Antec TrueBlue 480W, Thermaltake LED Smart Fans 80mm * 7, WD 250GB 7200 RPM SATA & 36GB Raptor * 2 RAID 0, Vantec HDC-502a * 2, Coolermaster Cooldrive 4 & Musketeer 1, Sony CRX320E & DW-U18A, Teac floppy, ATech Flash Pro9, Viewsonic P225fb, Logitech Z-680, APC Smart-UPS 1500
b1029384756 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 08:58 PM   #8
disk11

I got rejected for a Visa and a Wal-Mart Discover but managed to get a Wal-Mart one with a $125 line. Gonna use it for gas.

It's also really odd considering I just paid off a small student loan, I would have thought that I'd be able to get something off of that.

Main/Gaming: i7 920, Noctua U12P-SE, Asrock x58 Extreme, 6GB pc16000 Gskill Pi, Powercolor 7870, 256GB Crucial M500, 160GB Intel 320, Lite-On DVD burner, 600W OCZ modX
File server: AMD e-350, Asus E35M1-M Pro, 4GB Crucial, OCZ Vertex 3 (OS), 3x Toshiba 1TB RAID 5, 2x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1, Antec 900, Corsair 520HX
disk11 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 10:47 PM   #9
ckj

Best way to get a credit card is to go to college. I get sent at least one "prescreened" credit card offer a week. I should pick up a rewards card but just have a simple citi platinum visa atm. Works fine for me, don't know the interest rate as i pay it off every month. I doubt it's excessive though since i've had it for three years.
ckj is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 10:50 PM Thread Starter   #10
SeasonalEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by disk11
I got rejected for a Visa and a Wal-Mart Discover but managed to get a Wal-Mart one with a $125 line. Gonna use it for gas.

It's also really odd considering I just paid off a small student loan, I would have thought that I'd be able to get something off of that.
Eh the reason I made this is because we had these speakers come to our high school last week.. from a local bank and they explained credit.. it takes YEARS to get a good credit score.. so that student loan doesnt mean much by itself.. but yeah.. I applied for the capital one thing.. Hopefully I can ge tone.. Just to have in case of a emergancy and or to use for online shopping when I have the money to back it up.. Im not one to get into debt.

Edit.. in addition.. my friend just told me that the interest rate only applies if im late on paying?...

The Beast(Main)- P5QL/EPU, Q9550, 4GB DDR2 800, 2X320GB Perp, 750GB Cavalier,8800GT(for now) Corsair 750 Watt PSU, Enermax server case, 2x Dell 1908WFP, Vista Home

Last edited by SeasonalEclipse; 11-19-06 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 11:14 PM   #11
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

10 Year Badge

On my one Capitol One card. I think I pay a little under 9%. My other cards are higher. So I think the Capitol One is the kindest for general use. The yearly fees are not bad and so far there is no hidden crap.

Everytime I have called,. I got pretty good answers and replies.

This is my primary general use card:
http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard...P_C4_03_G_C138

No one ever expects Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Last edited by Enablingwolf; 11-19-06 at 11:20 PM.
Enablingwolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-06, 11:25 PM Thread Starter   #12
SeasonalEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enablingwolf
On my one Capitol One card. I think I pay a little under 9%. My other cards are higher. So I think the Capitol One is the kindest for general use. The yearly fees are not bad and so far there is no hidden crap.

Everytime I have called,. I got pretty good answers and replies.

This is my primary general use card:
http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard...P_C4_03_G_C138
Nice! I applied for the one with 19% interest.. and 300-3000 dollar limit.. I doubt I could get anything that good.. Not for a few more years anyhow.

Old 11-19-06, 11:37 PM   #13
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

10 Year Badge

I take it you selected the "Just starting credit" account type. There is like four or five types. Each gets better interest and perks as it goes up.

I fall in the excellent credit area. So I can get the Platinum Max card. I have other cards with that carrier, but they are probally not interesting to you.

If you handle your bidnez good, your options get loads nicer over time. Even if you use the card alot and get the balance on the high side. Just pay it and handle it.

I called them and knew I was accepted in like 3 minutes. I talked to the rep first and found out after liek a 40 minute call which card was the best for me. the one Ithought was the best for me, actually would of cost me more money. So they kind of hooked me up. Though I spend more on theis type of card, so it evens out.

I just keep my end of the deal, so far so do they. Iaks for the moeny to be there, and Ipay them what they ask backl. Sometimes I pay it all off. Sometimes they get a bit at a time. I just make sure I am not late getting them their "paycheck". that is when they are going to hit you with higher rates and such.

No one ever expects Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Enablingwolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 07:26 AM   #14
SunRedRX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonalEclipse
Edit.. in addition.. my friend just told me that the interest rate only applies if im late on paying?...
You only pay interest if you didn't completly pay off the prior month's spending. Just about everything I buy is through my credit card, but I always pay off the prior month before the next statement closes, so therefore, NO INTEREST

Also when your checking out cards, I'm sure most have this now, but make sure you have the abilitiy to check out your balance online. It helps to be able to look at your spending whenever you want to, and also being able to pay online is great to.

What I usually do as far as payments is I'll take my bill for the month, divide it by 4, and schedule 4 online payments for the month(most companies allow a max of 4 online payments per billing period).

SETI@home, Climate Prediction, Einstein@Home, Predictor@home, LHC@home
Click here to visit The BOINC/SETI section of the forums
Click here to visit The Team32 Folding section of the forums

Heatware
SunRedRX7 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 07:56 AM   #15
Elif Tymes

I use a Capital One Visa Platinum (They sent me the offer, I filled it out)

I pay it off every 2ish weeks, and track all spending on it on a google spreadsheet.

I found out the best way for me to keep my spending in line is to keep track of every single darn thing I spend money on, and categorize it, I.E. "Computer Stuff", "Food", "Girlfriend Fund", "Gas" etc.

so that I have a running total of what I have spent in each of the categories.

So yea, it's pretty much a budget

Elif Tymes is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 09:02 AM   #16
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Mastercard
It's just a payment method to me, so I pay it off every month with my checking account and don't have to worry about percentages.

Old 11-20-06, 12:36 PM   #17
JoT
You can't fire me, I have tenure!

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slug
Mastercard
It's just a payment method to me, so I pay it off every month with my checking account and don't have to worry about percentages.
That's exactly what I'm doing with my just recently received Capitol One Platinum. I have a little bit of credit from paying on my car for the last 6 months and paying for my furniture monthly, so I was able to get a card with 14.something% interest. Not too bad, and I know of credit's importance, so it will help in the future during my mid-life crises when I want that Lotus Exige

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?
JoT is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 01:33 PM   #18
ozzlo
Senior whose title will pierce the heavens!

10 Year Badge

I just use my bank debit card, it works just fine. I have a loan and a dell perferred account to build up my credit and that's good nuff for me.

. . . . . . .
HELP!!!. . . . . . RAWR!!!

. . . . . . . . .\. . . . . . . . /
__________\0/_____/\__________
ozzlo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 01:35 PM   #19
Illah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCloudStrife
capital one. they were the first and only to offer me a credit card

$300 limit, 19.9% APR
Yikes! That's rough. I guess that how it starts out though.

I actually took my time, waited until I was like 21 to get a CC. It was actually HARDER to get then - they just love handing cards out to 18 year olds. Also I applied for an AMEX Blue card, they did an income check and made my boss send them a letter on company letterhead and everything. Anyway, it paid off though. AMEX is really good on customer service.

9.9% APR, limit high enough to buy a car in one shot

--Illah
Illah is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-20-06, 02:26 PM   #20
LiveSideways

Visa with a $1000 limit at 12.9% and my debit mastercard. I've never asked for the limit to be raised and I don't plan on doing so for some time. I can do enough damage with 1k
LiveSideways is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.