• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm old tired frusrated and need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blaster 331

Registered
Greetings All,
I am a newbie but have a little knowledge about oc. I am running an asus p4c800-e deluxe with 1019 bios set to rev1.4
P4 3.4 northbridge
2x raptor 80 gig 8mb in raid o
ATI x850xt pe
430 watt antec psu
Scythe ninja cooler 6 fans temps are low
2x 1024 corsair pc3200 400mhz
my memory settings are 2 3 3 8 4bursts everything else on auto volts 2.75
my problem is that when i push the fsb to 212(3.6) my game flight sim crashes after an hour. Memory is set to 400 mhz and vcore is at 1.56
I'm not sure what i am doing wrong but would appreciate any help from you guys.
Best regards & Happy Thanksgiving
Andrew

try upping the ram voltage to 2.85.you can try loosening your timings but i would say at 212 they should be fine.also make sure your running the pci bus at 66/33.your mb should default to that but just in case.what kind of voltage droop are you getting underload?i had to run 1.6 in the bios to stabilize my p4 oc(it would droop to 1.5 constantly).what are your load temps looking like on the cpu and gpu?another thing to look at is your 12v rail underload.it could be alot of things unfortunately.psu,voltage,timings gpu etc...hope this helps a little and welcome to ocf Blaster!

Thank you Maxfly, 10-4 on the 66/33mhz setting that i forgot to mention. looks like my psu drps to 11.9 and the vcore to 1.5. I think its a problem with the memory because as i fly along its when i start using parameters in the cockpit that causes the crash. I will try turning up the volts to 2.85 as you suggest and the vcore to 1.6 Is this right?
best
andrew

sounds good.just keep an eye on your cpu temps.try to keep it under 60c ideally.i forgot to mention running memtest86 overnight or for a couple of hrs at least.that will clear up any memory issues.gl

Thanks for the help. You are certainly very professional in your demeanor
I am running prime 95 as we speak so far temps haven't exceded 40c but vcore is dipping as low as 1.488. It is set in bios at 1.58 Should i up to 1.6 ?
Andrew

You should look up the Vdroop mod for the motherboard. If you have good soldering skills it is very easy to do and will nearly eliminate the voltage droop to the vcore.

ty Blaster.
the vdroop mod is a good idea.if like Maviryk said your comfortable with soldering.you can up the voltage as high as 1.7 short term.its not a good idea to keep it there for long tho.for longterm use i wouldnt exceed 1.65 max.your temps are really solid btw.
im thinking its probably the memory like you suggested earlier.maybe a bad module thats causing the crashes.you could try loosening the timings to test for stability while you game.maybe 2.5-3-3-7 or 3-4-4-7 or 8.

Guys I have trouble painting a wall with a roller LOL there's no way I'm going near my hardware with any kind of gun.
Anyway you guys on this forum are great.
I just loaded up a flight down the west coast.Nothing taxes a system like a good FS. Lets see if she is going to be stable. I'll report back later on say in about two to three hours if it holds that long
Best regards
Andrew

Hehe... so much for the mod then.
Maxfly, the Vdroop and Vcore are two different mods. There's also the Vdimm mod too. :)

I still got my Asus P4C800-ED... it's still running..

Well.. it WAS still runnign strong till about last night when my cat bumped the case and the heatsink that was on my mobile proc got jarred out of place.

GL Blaster.

System locked up an hour into the flight right after i went thru a series of system checks in the cockpit. I know this uses memory so I guess i,ll try loosing up the timings as you suggested
Best
Andrew

Are you sure that 3.6ghz is not the max for your CPU? 3.6ghz seems to be the limit for many kinds of P4's. I have had 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, P4's that limited out at 3.6ghz.

Also, the previous advice on the v-droop & v-core mods is correct.:)

Are you sure that 3.6ghz is not the max for your CPU? 3.6ghz seems to be the limit for many kinds of P4's. I have had 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, P4's that limited out at 3.6ghz.

Also, the previous advice on the v-droop & v-core mods is correct.:)

*edit - the low 212fsb tells me that you have a high multiplier on the P4, I assume its an older chip?

Greetings Krag, Its a stockl 3.4 sl793 northwood. I could be wrong but i have read were its been oc to 3.8. I am at 3.57 right now
hope this helps
Andrew

Yes the multiplier is at 17 and although I bought it brand new it is an older chip as you suggested

Should be on the same BIOS page that you change the FSB. Turn everything to manual if you don't see it.

Will take some pics for you when I get home and reseat my heatsink. Silly kitty...

Maviryk said:
Hehe... so much for the mod then.
Maxfly, the Vdroop and Vcore are two different mods. There's also the Vdimm mod too. :)

I still got my Asus P4C800-ED... it's still running..

Well.. it WAS still runnign strong till about last night when my cat bumped the case and the heatsink that was on my mobile proc got jarred out of place.

GL Blaster.
lol bad kitty!
ah true true.its been a while since i researched the volt mods for the p4c800-e.i could never get up the nerve to do any of them either lol.my big clumsy fingers and soldering dont seem very appealing.altho IF(big if)i couldve the payoff would have been well worth it.
back on the subject :)
it really does sound like ram issues.i just tested 4 crucial ddr500 modules for the same reason.i kept getting reboots while gaming.and yep they ALL have errors in memtest.corsair is really good about replacing bad ram so if it is in fact bad.it will be painless to replace.

Back