• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray Recorders for PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are some out already. Check newegg but they go up in the 600$'s

Whoa... that’s a big hefty price tag on that hardware. Hopefully the price will drops down quite some bit in the next year. I just can’t seem to justify paying $600 for one yet. Thanks for the info!

DVD recorders used to be the same way... the only people buying HD-DVD or Blue Ray equipment (recording or playback) are rich people.. once this format war is over... price will drop... to normal.

Jdrake90

But now there is a third DVD disk option now called RVD. Things should realy get strange in the next six months. Its a new language for the disks, a real strange one.:beer:

Last edited:
i Don't think it will be the end of blue-ray, i think what will happen is that dual drives that do both formats will prevail, then it will just be a matter of pricing and preference in the disks

Wathnix said:
i Don't think it will be the end of blue-ray, i think what will happen is that dual drives that do both formats will prevail, then it will just be a matter of pricing and preference in the disks

I could be very wrong about this, but it is my understanding that this is simply not going to happen, its impossible.

And i don't think the companies will come together and create a 3rd (or 4th?) that is more standard, like what happened with DVD

Wathnix said:

I've read that sony will not allow dual-format drives/players. it's in the contract the companies sign when dealing with blu-ray.

I'll see if I can dig up some links.

Last edited:
Wathnix said:

atleast sony knows disney will be using blu-ray for sure so that helps haha my self am going with hd-dvd.

Some other thoughts about blue ray surviving. It seems to me from what I've read that HD-DVD is more popular right now, but there is reason to think it may gain in popularity later, simply put HD-DVD does not do Hi-Def TV at it's highest resolution, can you see someone shelling out the money for a 1080P TV then wanting to watch it in a low resolution? Think people won't catch on to that, think again, the sales people will pull that line again and again to get the higher commissions. And as time goes on 1080 TV's will be cheaper and more popular. As far as data, blue-ray holds more. But yes, thank you Sony for dropping another market confusing product full of of 'features' that turn a good product bad on the market (betamax, MiniDisk, Memory Stick)

Wathnix said:
Some other thoughts about blue ray surviving. It seems to me from what I've read that HD-DVD is more popular right now, but there is reason to think it may gain in popularity later, simply put HD-DVD does not do Hi-Def TV at it's highest resolution, can you see someone shelling out the money for a 1080P TV then wanting to watch it in a low resolution? Think people won't catch on to that, think again, the sales people will pull that line again and again to get the higher commissions. And as time goes on 1080 TV's will be cheaper and more popular. As far as data, blue-ray holds more. But yes, thank you Sony for dropping another market confusing product full of of 'features' that turn a good product bad on the market (betamax, MiniDisk, Memory Stick)
That is complete and total BS. Honestly, you have been hoodwinked by Blu-ray propaganda. Both formats look the same and are HD. The cheaper model HD DVD, the HD-A2, will only output up to 1080i while the more expensive version just being released, the HD-XA2 outputs 1080P. The XA2 will probably output the best picture of any HD player, but honestly the differences will be very hard to see among any of the HD DVD and Blu-ray players. Yes, Blu-ray does hold more data, but it doesn't make the picture better, and the discs more expensive to produce.

the only thing the market HAS shown, is that there is no demand for a high def DVD.

you can take that to the bank.

I have a PS3, I didnt buy it for movies. I did get some movies since it was a nice little price padder I was forced to purchase. they look great. I might even consider paying 50$ more for a DVD player that does them. perhaps even 3-5$ more for the DVDs. 500$ for the player and 30$ for the disks? no, not a chance in hell. I own 2, and my next DVD purchase will be in good ol 480i.

It's true the market has not been huge, but there are about a quarter of a million players out there and rising. The entry price point is $400 for HD DVD and going down pretty quickly. It should be easily under $300 by spring. The discs cost a little over $20 on average at Amazon however, Netflix offers them as regular rentals. Still it's a fair piece of change, but many people spend thousands on HDTV's so, what's a few hundred more? It will take some time, but eventually the price will get down to where people buying new gear will consider it a natural upgrade to make.

When we start getting games that require more than one DVD HD-DVD and Blue-Ray will catch on in the PC. Before that i don't see a need.

Since various companies seem so keen to make dual format drives, I think this is going to turn into a repeat of the DVD +/- wars with no clear winner despite a great deal of money being spent on lobbying software producers and movie studios.

I know that the disc technology involved is much less similar than DVD+R and DVD-R, but I remember when the first dual format DVD recorders were introduced, sixpacks bought them without even really understanding that there were multiple DVD formats that they could buy. Dual format or Dual media was a nice sounding feature, so people paid a whole bunch extra when they didn't need it. I remember a friend who worked for a computer shop telling me that when LG introduced it's triple format DVD writers that various people who hadn't even heard of DVD-RAM were purchasing them anyway.

here is a new article, you can now see a picture of the dual format HD-DVD / Blue-Ray Drive, Cheers.

P.S. To RSEVEN, no I haven't been hoodwinked, I have enough technical knowledge to know the difference is minor, my point is the sales guys in box stores and the marketing drones have something to pull the wool over the eyes of Joe Six-Pack because on paper blue-ray is better so they will pad their commisions by selling the more expensive disk player to go along with the 1080P TV's.

Wathnix said:
here is a new article, you can now see a picture of the dual format HD-DVD / Blue-Ray Drive, Cheers.

P.S. To RSEVEN, no I haven't been hoodwinked, I have enough technical knowledge to know the difference is minor, my point is the sales guys in box stores and the marketing drones have something to pull the wool over the eyes of Joe Six-Pack because on paper blue-ray is better so they will pad their commisions by selling the more expensive disk player to go along with the 1080P TV's.
I apologize Wathnix. The Blue-ray folks have used a lot of misinformation to promote their product and I wrongly thought you had fallen prey to their lines. At CES Toshiba announced they will have a more expensive A2 model, $600, that will also output 1080P just like the XA2 coming out shortly. While I have a 1080P TV, I don't think there is a big difference in the 180 versus the 720 when viewed from over 12; from the TV.

As for the dual format model from LG which will list at $1200, for that kind of money someone could buy an HDA2 and a PS3 with some bucks left over for games and videos. I still think HD DVD is the best solution to HD content on discs based on cost and performance. Blu-ray or dual format is just needless expence.

Back