• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SPDIF/optical out from onboard sound question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
A major problem with onboard audio is the poor DACs. But now many onboard sound setups have either digital SPDIF, coax, or optical outputs. I know these bypass the onboard DACs, but what I don't know is how much sound processing the onboard codec chips still have to do. Basically I'm looking to hook up my computer sound output through an external receiver or amp that has digital inputs and trying to get an idea of how much the onboard affects things when using the digital outputs, I know they suck with the analog ones. :p

So the question is, when using a SPDIF or optical out from a motherboard's onboard sound solution, how much of the onboard solution does it bypass besides the DACs? Would using onboard sound digital outputs into an external surround amplifier or receiver work really well or just sort of a waste? (don't consider speaker quality as part of the equation - I'm just interested in the signal up to the point it goes to the speakers.)

MadMan007 said:
A major problem with onboard audio is the poor DACs. But now many onboard sound setups have either digital SPDIF, coax, or optical outputs. I know these bypass the onboard DACs, but what I don't know is how much sound processing the onboard codec chips still have to do. Basically I'm looking to hook up my computer sound output through an external receiver or amp that has digital inputs and trying to get an idea of how much the onboard affects things when using the digital outputs, I know they suck with the analog ones. :p

So the question is, when using a SPDIF or optical out from a motherboard's onboard sound solution, how much of the onboard solution does it bypass besides the DACs? Would using onboard sound digital outputs into an external surround amplifier or receiver work really well or just sort of a waste? (don't consider speaker quality as part of the equation - I'm just interested in the signal up to the point it goes to the speakers.)

pass throught mode is just that... its taking the raw digital signal from the dvd and passing it straight to the reciever... i ust to have a sb live 24 doing spdif passthrough to my yamaha HTR-5890 for my htpc.. but i needed that sound card so now im using a pci bracket with Coax and Toslink outs using the onboard AC 97 sound via an onboard spdif header... i dont notice any quality differences because its not actually decoding or making sound.... now as for analog quality... the win goes to any sb live of better card (actually a sb live and audigy 2 zs platnum produce the same sound cus its the same chip).... but for digital passthrough unless you are gettin electrical interference because of other motherboard parts it should be just as good as any add on sound card. i hope this helps

I use my X-Fi XM as a pass-through to my Entech external DAC, then to my Onkyo receiver. I only listen to my music in stereo, just dont sound right in surround to me. External DACs are almost always stereo, but the sound quality will be above and beyond what a receiver with an digital/optical-in or the DACs on the soundcard will provide. One of the main reasons is because the DAC is isolated from other components. External DACs also have filters, that really clean up the sound quite nicely. Even a cheap $50 external DAC will sound better than whats in a soundcard. Being a part of a receiver or soundcard the DAC is subject to much jitter from all of the other components, distorting the resulting audio.

Sir Barton said:
I use my X-Fi XM as a pass-through to my Entech external DAC, then to my Onkyo receiver. I only listen to my music in stereo, just dont sound right in surround to me. External DACs are almost always stereo, but the sound quality will be above and beyond what a receiver with an digital/optical-in or the DACs on the soundcard will provide. One of the main reasons is because the DAC is isolated from other components. External DACs also have filters, that really clean up the sound quite nicely. Even a cheap $50 external DAC will sound better than whats in a soundcard. Being a part of a receiver or soundcard the DAC is subject to much jitter from all of the other components, distorting the resulting audio.

i agree with you in part that an external dac will provide better sound but if you take a yamaha HTR - 5890 compared to ur setup i doubt that you would say that ur system is better... what do you do... digital out to external dac... to 5.1 analog?

Well yeah of course, you cant compare a $400 receiver to a $50 DAC, but you can compare a $50 DAC to a $200 soundcard. Sorry I threw the terms around loosely. Now if I were to spend $250 on a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro DSP 8024, there wouldnt be much competition ;). As for how mine is run, its just a digital coax to the DAC, stereo out to my Onkyo TX-8511. I havent seen an external DAC thats surround capable, as most of them are for home stereo or studio use. I just run Polk R15s on my desk and some vintage Pioneer CS-77 floorspeakers by my TV.

Sir Barton said:
Well yeah of course, you cant compare a $400 receiver to a $50 DAC, but you can compare a $50 DAC to a $200 soundcard. Sorry I threw the terms around loosely. Now if I were to spend $250 on a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro DSP 8024, there wouldnt be much competition ;). As for how mine is run, its just a digital coax to the DAC, stereo out to my Onkyo TX-8511. I havent seen an external DAC thats surround capable, as most of them are for home stereo or studio use. I just run Polk R15s on my desk and some vintage Pioneer CS-77 floorspeakers by my TV.

ahh ohh ya... the sound quality of the external dac compared to the sound card ... well there is no comp... this is why i dont even use the onboard dacs and i make the reciever do the work which it is way good at doing... now if you were to get a way good external dac... then ur talking uber massive sweet quality.... i actually for music playback use the digital coax and it gives a 2 channel output...which i can upconvert to 7.1 stero on the reciever.

Sir Barton said:

ahh ohh ya... the sound quality of the external dac compared to the sound card ... well there is no comp... this is why i dont even use the onboard dacs and i make the reciever do the work which it is way good at doing... now if you were to get a way good external dac... then ur talking uber massive sweet quality.... i actually for music playback use the digital coax and it gives a 2 channel output...which i can upconvert to 7.1 stero on the reciever.

Ok so to be clear, the answer is if I use a digital out from the onboard sound and go to a receiver it would be the same as going to the receiver through a soundcard? Just say 'yes to question' if that's correct lol. I was thinking maybe the onboard sound chip or soundcard still did some signal processing pre-DAC.

Basically I'm asking this because as long as it doesn't hurt the sound quality I won't have to bother getting a soundcard ;) This will be for gaming and movies too. For gaming purposes would a soundcard still be good to have?

MadMan007 said:
Ok so to be clear, the answer is if I use a digital out from the onboard sound and go to a receiver it would be the same as going to the receiver through a soundcard? Just say 'yes to question' if that's correct lol. I was thinking maybe the onboard sound chip or soundcard still did some signal processing pre-DAC.

Basically I'm asking this because as long as it doesn't hurt the sound quality I won't have to bother getting a soundcard ;) This will be for gaming and movies too. For gaming purposes would a soundcard still be good to have?

yes you are correct...

it is the same.... the spdif on board, is the same as a spdif on a soundcard when in passthrough mode... (which is pretty much the norm unless you have a very special sound card that has DDL) only way the Spdif interfaces are going to differe when in passthrough mode is interference... but from my expierence i have found no more interference with the onboard spdif passthgough compared to a sound card..

As for gaming the only way you are going to get surround sound gaming through digital is with a dolby digial live sound card, and there arnt many.. your best bet is to do what i did and do analog 5.1 or what ever out to the reciever for games (have the card and computer make the right sounds for the individual channels) then also have the digial SPDIF passthrough for movies.

Back