• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a decent s939 combo stock? Overclocked? DFI NF4-AGF non-SLI and AMD 4200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
Is this a decent s939 combo stock? Overclocked? DFI NF4-AGF non-SLI and AMD 4200+

I'm looking to put together a system, this would be my first full DIY system.

I currently have an AMD 2500+ and Asus A7n8x AGP board. It has no ram and no vid card because the vid card died and I gave the ram to my dad for his computer. So I'd need to get a new vid card (in the sub $150 range) and new ram (in the $110 range) and probably a new PSU to handle a new vid card (it's only got a 300 watt PSU right now).

I've never overclocked before but I am interested in doing so, I like to tweak things to get the best performance out of them (cars, etc) so I'd like to do the same with my computer if possible.

I found this mobo/cpu combo for sale from a guy for $250 and I was wondering what you guys think of it for both stock and potential overclocking.

DFI NF4-AGF Nforce4 non-sli board (s939)
AMD 4200+ s939

gaming will mostly be BF2 and probably BF2142, HL2, etc. I've always run everything on low settings and low res so I don't care so much about having super sweet graphics, 1280x1024 and low-med settings with more than the 15fps I got before in BF2 would be nice lol. SLI is not a requirement for me so that's no issue.

For overclocking, how do I decide what ram timings to get. Like I said I'm new to this whole thing, and I was searching on new egg and it seems there are hundreds upon hundreds of different ram options with all different timings and latencies and stuff.

Basically I'm weighing getting this mobo/cpu combo vs attempting to bandaid my current 2500+ combo which I mentioned earlier, which will require at least a $150 vid card, $110 worth of ram, and whatever a PSU costs - and still possibly have subpar performance because of my current proc/mobo.

In all honest, you can go AM2 as oppsoed to s939. This will help, especially in the area of a video card. I would go ahead and get a:

Proc: AMD 3800+ X2 ($140)- should over clock as high as the 4200+ will overclock to
Mobo: Perhaps an ABIT or ASUS 570 Ultra/SLI chip ($100)
Ram: 1gb (512x2 DDR2 667) ($110)
Vid: 7600GT ($130)

That should perform well and be under your budget while using all new parts.

Back