• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EBAY - Warning; 3rd party access allowed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Anyone with an account on ebay should check this out! Something called Infopia had set themselves up as 3rd party on my account without my permission!

Others I have heard about are:

* Andale
* Bonfire Media LLC
* Infopia
* Auctionhouse
* ChannelAdvisor
* AuctionWorks
* Zoovy

Odds are, there's one on yours.

Go to My Account -> Preferences -> General Preferences -> Third Party Authorizations, then select any unauthorized sellers there and click "Revoke Authorization"

If any 3rd party access is found do not hesitate to send Ebay an email asking what the heck is going on! I certainly did.
:mad:

Last edited:
No problem. The more people who approach eBay about this issue the more likely something will be done about it.

Now I do not profess to have any idea what this is all about. Best thing to do is to contact eBay and ask. Not as though eBay makes it easy for us to do so. :rolleyes:

Start by going to the "Security & Resolution Center" after you sign in and fill in the fields.

BTW .... I have seen this very issue discussed in a couple forums recently so I know ours is not an isolated incident.

Thanks for the headsup - I nuked one of these off my list. NFI how it got there....

"Zoovy" added to list above - thank you

Here is an example of the e-mail which I sent to eBay security :

=======================
How can I have three third party authorizations on my account when I did not authorize anyone?
Is my account in jeopardy?
How does this happen?
Should I change my password?
Do you people know about this?
Does Ebay benefit by allowing access to our accounts by third parties?
What steps are being taken to protect member accounts?
How can this be prevented in the future?
Please respond.

========================

Feel free to copy paste if you like.

Thank you for your attention to this potentially volatile issue.

hmm, Andale is my auction/page views counter, so that explains one of them. ChannelAdvisor is apparently some sort of auction management - and I don't use that.

Euro Ebay Forums said:
like i said red it depends what you are doing

say you are adding a pic using auctionpix, pix calls up ebay and say im going to put a pic here, ebay says not if you aint authorised you aint , pix says, i am here is my token, ebay says ok ( and adds that to your 3rd party authorisations) and your pic gets added

so you asked pix to put a pic on your auction

pix asked ebay

ebay said ok and adds the 3rd party authorisation

make sense?
So I guess it isn't too bad then.

edit:
Global Instant Win - From the world cup competition
MissionFish - for Charity auctions
AuctionWorks - you've probably paid a seller who uses auctionworks checkout

They are all legit.

*** http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/y205/m10/abu0152/s05 ***

dirty sanchez said:
haha, that sucks. so did tehy take everyones CC info and such? :lol:
No I don't think they have that kind of access.

No matter what these entities are trying to do, I am surely not alone in my thinking that eBay really should NOT allow anyone access to my account without specific permission.

Doesnt that mean like when you use Andale it allows andale to add the auction stuff to your listings for you? Like the counters and what not.

The sweestakes i can see how if the rules were you listed something at a certain time, you would qualify. Maybe it would inject a non viewable code to that ebay can scan the listings to see who entered?

No idea, but i dont think these can be dangerous, otherwise you all would have noticed missing money or what not lol

But im gonna check out my list anyway. I agree you should have to authorize them in the first place. Its probably in the finefinefien print somewhere.

*sigh* big buisnesses *sigh*

Thanks for the headsup. I had two to nuke. Both had been added recently, one in Sept and one in Nov.

But I'm not worried, I think it's all legit. At some point we agreed to give these 3rd parties access.

Hmmm, I had three: ChannelAdvisor, Kyozou, and AuctionWorks. I don't know where any of them came from, but I bet it was from special offers I signed up on. AuctionWorks is from only two days ago, and just this past week I filled out my info at http://paypal.promotionexpert.com/holiday/. So that may or may not be the cause of that.

Either way, I'm removin' 'em!

damarble said:
Thanks for the headsup. I had two to nuke. Both had been added recently, one in Sept and one in Nov.

But I'm not worried, I think it's all legit. At some point we agreed to give these 3rd parties access.
Yes, I am not too worried about my account security either. Lest far as someone taking money or bidding on my behalf goes. Someone tracking my actions is another subject of course.

You know, very good chance all of us inadvertently agreed to this. Seems to me eBay had a big revision of their TOS agreement about 1.5 to 2 years ago, which we had to agree to for continuation of our accounts.

Very likely this 3rd party access issue was part of that revised agreement & we didn't see it. Honestly, how many of us take the time to read all the fine print. Plus it is not as though they list the new changes to the TOS in bold letters at the top. Probably somewhere near the bottom in lawyer speak.

In any event .... I do NOT think anyone should have access without our expressed consent. Pretty sure everyone here can agree with that.

ebayuniversity.com (created Jul-30-06)
eBay Holiday Dreams Sweepstakes (created Aug-16-06)

I guess ebayuniversity.com showed up after I went through one of those online ebay classes.

I think I signed up for the sweepstakes, too. I don't know what those "certain actions" would be that I supposedly authorized, though.

Back