• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabit ethernet interfering with wifi mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

Hi,

i recently upgraded my home network to gigabit ethernet. The problem is that my logitech mx700 mouse has major interference. The switch is right next to the computer, but i have proved that by leaving this computer on the 100mbit card and running the rest at 1000mbit (so the switch still has 1000mbit running though it) this interference disappears. So all my computers run gigabit except mine, which kind of sucks. I have tried two different brands of gigabit cards and both have the same results. one person suggested getting shielded ethernet cables, but i have been unable to find them. All cables i use are of Cat5e standard. i have a wireless keyboard too, but it has never been effected (it used the same receiver). i haven't been able to change the mouses 'channel' either.

has anyone had this problem before? What do you suggest i do? get shielded cable for my computer to the switch?

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hip.

Couple of things you could try...
*The cheap option to test the shielded cable theory is to cover yours in aluminum foil to test the idea out.
Make it permanent if that does do the trick using aluminum duct tape (the real aluminum with the peal off paper backing).
*You could also try a cable of a different length, as length determines antenna frequency, which determines interference frequency. This would also help you route the cable away from the mouse reciever.
*Try a Cat6 cable. Those have better pair separation inside to add in the "shielding" of the wires from cross-talk.

BTW, if you can't find shielded patch cords, try finding the cable itself and making your own. Not the cheap option though.

Hope you get it working right. It bites to have nice toys that don't play well together.

thnx for the suggestions. I'll try aluminum foil as this seems cheap. also i didn't think of the length. Its a shorter cable than all the other PC's use.

I just figured it out now!

It was internal interference through the ps/2 port that the mouse was using. It has a usb plug too, so i jammed that into a port (call me an idiot, but I haven't used the usb on this kb & mouse yet) and its all gone. No problems!

For the record, i have tried both shielding with aluminum foil and a different length cable, but neither worked.

Anyway, as always, thx for the suggestions and help.

And just for futures searches, the keyboard and mouse are the Logitech Cordless Mx Duo (which includes the Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Cordless Mx 700 mouse)

Ah, so the interference was on the motherboard and not the cords.
Glad you had a USB capable mouse! :thup:

ps. I won't call you an idiot, my native USB mouse is plugged into a third-party adapter and using a ps2 port. ;)

Back