• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel To SiS - Stop Making CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hm.. Thats interesting.. Bye bye 200 dollar VIA boards with passively cooled VIA 800 Mhz CPUs.. I wont miss you.

god damn bullies is what intel is <_< rather than compete, lets just throw a bunch of lawers at em. Ah well, i guess thats the mentality of people these days.
Whats next though? could intel smack amd around for similar reasons?
I was looking forward to getting one of these via pc's for my car, guess thats off.

Doesn't mean u can't get one now. Just in the future there won't be any and the prices will increase quiet a bit for anyone thats probably selling them.

I've never liked VIA's chipsets... perhaps they'd be wise to exit that market and focus on low-power CPUs instead. Releases them from Intel's demands too.

FIZZ3 said:
I've never liked VIA's chipsets... perhaps they'd be wise to exit that market and focus on low-power CPUs instead. Releases them from Intel's demands too.

No, thats what Intel wants to stop them from doing lol. Intel wants them to stop taking sales away from their ULV CPUs. They're trying to trade a bus license for a promise that they will stop competing with them in the CPU market.

Centaur (via's cpu division) has a superior solution that is taking market share from intel. intel's response, eliminate the competition so we can continue to sell our inferior product. their strategy is to hit them where it hurts, their chipsets which use licensed intel techlology.

I hope via fights this. they are the next microsoft. instead of fueling innovation from within they just smuther all innovation by other small companies that could hurt them.

I think i had a chipset of thier right now and it's crap. Or whoever's i have is crap. It's cheap, but that's the only advantage.

VIA has excellent CPU's for thier niche market. The low power use and low heat are perfect for many mobile applications. To lose that option would hurt everyone in the long run.

I hope VIA wins this!

(and BTW, where did you get SiS from?? it's mucking up the thread)

DvBoard said:
I think i had a chipset of thier right now and it's crap. Or whoever's i have is crap. It's cheap, but that's the only advantage.
Well your sig says SiS and if that's the case, yes SiS does make the most horrible chipsets ever for Intel. VIA is slightly better. And VIA's AMD chipsets are not that bad at all.

Two of my three currently operational computers use via chipsets, very happy with them. I hope they make it through this confrontation with intel.

I'ts always sad to see Intel get less competition. I love Intel cpu's but it seems like Intel loses their reality check on pricing very easy. I am also a huge fan of low heat/power processors. I hope VIA can find a way to keep Intel from bullying them out of their cpu division.

Moto7451 said:
No, thats what Intel wants to stop them from doing lol. Intel wants them to stop taking sales away from their ULV CPUs. They're trying to trade a bus license for a promise that they will stop competing with them in the CPU market.

Yes. Intel threatens to withdraw their chipset license if they don't stop making CPUs. What I am saying is that VIA should maybe let that happen and abandon the chipset market and focus on CPUs. Intel has nothing to threaten them with then...

FIZZ3 said:
Yes. Intel threatens to withdraw their chipset license if they don't stop making CPUs. What I am saying is that VIA should maybe let that happen and abandon the chipset market and focus on CPUs. Intel has nothing to threaten them with then...

their cpus only account for a small portion of thier sales. this would devistate them on revenues. it would be like me telling you im taking away 2/3 of you salary because you dont need it and i tought you how to do your job so it should be going to me anyway:D

Overload said:
their cpus only account for a small portion of thier sales. this would devistate them on revenues. it would be like me telling you im taking away 2/3 of you salary because you dont need it and i tought you how to do your job so it should be going to me anyway:D

Is their chipset division still the biggest source of their income? Amazing if true.

Back