• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!!! My laptop works on battery power now!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

To most this would be expected; but not to me. In the four years I've owned this laptop, a gateway solo 1450, it has never worked more than 20 minutes on battery power and lately not more than three. It would run down to 94% and just shut down. I just turned it on yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and now the battery doesn't work at all. Well, I was trying to fix an overheating problem and found a new BIOS revision for download. I flashed the laptop and so far it hasn't overheated, but that's not the big news. I've been using it for the past 10 minutesm with Wifi no less, on battery power!!!! This is huge! I finally use my laptop as a laptop! So update your BIOS if you can - it might vastly increase your battery life. I will report how long mine lasts.

Note to self: unplugged at 8:43 PM

edit: Lasted exactly 15 minutes on a four year old NiMH battery. I'm thinking about buying a new Li-ion battery now so that my laptop might actually be usuable for once. This is great news for me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying a new Li-ion battery now so that my laptop might actually be usuable for once

Be sure to test the battery, as batteries are nonstandard. Moreover, your laptop mighty not handle a recent battery

FeuerFrei said:
Be sure to test the battery, as batteries are nonstandard. Moreover, your laptop mighty not handle a recent battery
Thanks. My laptop was designed to handle both NiMH and Li-ion varients. It just came with the NiMH and since it was a refurb, I didn't have the option to upgrade when I purchased it new.

Back