• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling newb looking for suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tak

Registered
Hey, I'm putting together a system for a friend of mine and am looking to w/c it. This will be my first w/c'ing so I thought I'd run it by some more experienced people. Just looking to cool the CPU and GPU nothing to fancy and I'm not looking for any thing super expensive, but definately something that will do the job and be quiet.

Here's the system:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
- eVGA nForce 680i SLI
- G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2 800
- eVGA Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB
- Audigy2 ZS
- Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA II x2
- Seagate Barracuda 400GB SATA II
- Asus Vento 3600
- Rosewill RD500-2-DB 500W

And these seem to be the most recommended w/c parts I've seen:
- Swiftech Apogee CPU waterblock
- Swiftech MCW60 VGA cooler
- Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump
- Black Ice GT stealth 240
- Resevoir? Need a suggestion, maybe a bayres?
- DangerDen Fillport
- ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD
- ???

And here are some questions:
- Any suggestions on this setup, be it the PC or cooling parts?
- Any good tutorials or things to read regarding w/c?
- Is passive cooling for the 7950's RAM ok?
- Where do you setup a drain for the w/c system?
- Stupid Question: What type of liquid to run? Straight water? Coolant mix?
- About how much tubing to buy to be safe and not be short?

Well, that's what I'm looking at doing. Please any suggestions, tips, links, etc that can be helpful are appreciated. I'm definately new to watercooling so all is helpful.

Thanks.

nice!

looks pretty good, but i would go for tygon over clearflex just as a personal preference. Also, i would go for a t-line over a reservoir, just for space/cash.

And about the video card RAM, there are nice stick-on ramsinks for 10-20 dollars that are nice and easy to install, or you can slice up some old heatsicks and get some thermal-adhesive to stick them on. Both options would get the job done if you have good case airflow

And also, don't forget to plan out how everything will go in your case. It's a major bummer to drop 50$ on a radiator that doesn't fit.

ONE MORE THING - Might i suggest getting a heatercore and shroud instead of a radiator? usually cheaper and in all honesty, considerably better.

Best fluid im my opinion would be distilled water, a drop of bleach, and like half a cup of antifreeze.

Last edited:
4od said:
looks pretty good, but i would go for tygon over clearflex just as a personal preference. Also, i would go for a t-line over a reservoir, just for space/cash.

And about the video card RAM, there are nice stick-on ramsinks for 10-20 dollars that are nice and easy to install, or you can slice up some old heatsicks and get some thermal-adhesive to stick them on. Both options would get the job done if you have good case airflow

And also, don't forget to plan out how everything will go in your case. It's a major bummer to drop 50$ on a radiator that doesn't fit.

ONE MORE THING - Might i suggest getting a heatercore and shroud instead of a radiator? usually cheaper and in all honesty, considerably better.

Best fluid im my opinion would be distilled water, a drop of bleach, and like half a cup of antifreeze.

Yeah, I was looking at the Tygon tubing. Someone suggested it as well and it's slightly cheaper. Sounds like it performs well so I'll take the Tygon over the Clearflex.

Jab-Tech has a deal with the MCW60 that includes 8 vga ram sinks for $57 so I think I'll go that route.

I'll take a look at the heater core idea. I googled it real quick and I think it's going to be fun going into Advanced Auto for a Chevette part for this PC. As for a T-line from I've read real quick it just consists of putting a T junction before the pump that runs up to say a fillport? If this will remove the need for a resevoir then I think that will work better and look cleaner overall.

I tried to do a PS mock up real quick and I don't think the case is going to have enough room for the 120.2 radiator so a heatercore might be in order. I'll have to do some rethinking.

Glad i could help

But if your going to buy a heatercore from an auto parts store, make sure you have a plan for adding w/c tube size barbs

Back