• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eh E6600 for poor man :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

1) old computer got scewed a few weeks ago
2) black friday came

choices:
a) X2 4200+ AM2 socket + Gigabite mobo = 200 + 200 for 2GB of PC5400 DDR2 ram, total after tax = 450 - 50 rebate = 400

advantage: PCI E available, cheap, gigabite mobo, has Gforce 6100 onboard graphic :)

disavantage: old generation CPU, mobo has NO OC option (very surprise to see from a manufacture such as gigabite.

b) E6600 + crappy ECS mobo = 300 after tax

advantage: probably less heat since it's on a smaller dye compare to the X2 chip. i get to use my 1GB of PC4400 cuzz this board takes regulard DDR... and this chip is probably at a higher class than the X2 line, it'll hit 285FSB from the reported of other people. no idea yet... and even with the high multiplier of the E6600 i'll still be looking at 2.5ghz (eh crap lol)

disavantage: AGP (here's where i say wtf), onboard graphic is probably gonna suck very very bad :)

anyways... long story short... i picked the E6600 cuzz i'm broke as hell, and i want to save that 100 dollar for some future upgrade...

Question: i have a spare XP-90 heatsink laying around... this thing good enough for C2D?

Sure, the XP-90 will work fine on the C2D as long as you have the socket LGA775 brackets. Did you already get that motherboard? If not, I'd really recommend selling your old stuff and getting a different mobo to use DDR2 and PCI-E vid card. I'm guessing you can probably get some decent coin out of your old RAM.

The E6600 will destroy the X2 4200+, and this at stock speeds.

I own an X2 4200 and I wish I'd waited for core2

You'll be happy with the 6600

Assumiung you have a decent fan on it, the XP-90 will do much better than the stock HSF

update.... um this is gonna sound a little wierd, me and my friend went together and we both bought the combo... well i was putting it together for him after i did mine (which hit 2.5ghz max on stock v-core as the board would not go any higher)... BUT here's the interesting part... he look in the bag and behold there's 2 chips in there, bottom line, he gonna keep his combo and sell the chip.... (no way he's giving it back to the store)... and to make matter convient, he would rather sell it to me than dealing with ebay hassel....

honest thought? i'm thinking about buying it, the store sold it for 220 (accordign to the reciept with the combo)... he just want a really good graphic card so he can play games.... i'm probably gonna pay him around 160 or 170 so he can get a 7900GS or something along that line....

should i do it? seems kindda underhanded (on my part)... but this would really kick *** :).... anyways i'll think about it for a while before i pull the trigger.

Some places make mistakes like this. There not going to give you anything in return for returning it but you'd be a good man for doing so.

My stance on it unless it was a friend that lost it, in this case he got it. I'd take it. You'll have a hell of a time finding a E6600 for cheaper then that.

Back