• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for an ultra-cheap DC server.... celeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimCaleb72

Hey gang,

I have a 1GHz Pentium III/i815e/512MB/250GB system running 24/7 as a file, ftp, DHCP, Printer, and media streaming (to dedicated set top box) server

Currently the system runs just fine, on Windows 2000 Server

I got the upgrade bug and would like to know whether it's worth it to find a cheap Celeron D cpu/board combo. I like the idea of dual core, as it could do a lot more simultaneously, but like I said, i haven't had a problem with performance so far.

Here's what I can get, prices being in canuckbucks.

Intel Celeron D 347 3.06GHZ LGA775 512KB L2 533FSB 65NM EMT64 65W Retail Box -- $62.08

ECS 865G-M8 mATX LGA775 865G DDR AGP 3PCI LAN Audio SATA -- 48.30

Both are brand new. I have a nice big ATX case, a fortron 400w power supply, and 2x 512MB DDR lying around from a previous build.

I also have my old machine in pieces, that I could also use, which would be single-core but effectively free.......

AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+, Shuttle Nforce2 motherboard. Works flawlessly.

Is the Celeron D much faster than the PIII-1GHz?
Is the Celeron D faster than the Athlon XP?
Anyone interested in the Nforce/Barton combo? Cheap Cheap! :)

Emt64 is of no concern to me. I am running XP-64 right now on the X2 and can't wait to go back to the much faster XP-32.

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking for a dual core cpu you'll have to look to the Pentium D 805 for the cheapest solution. Or perhaps a AMD X2 3800+.

Celeron D is a Prescott P-4 with castrated cache. But, they do O/C pretty good. Yes, the Celly D will be way faster than a P-III. Trap is correct, the Celly D is indeed a single core processor.

ECS motherboards aren't that great. There two best features are they are cheap and they are cheap. Not sure why you'd want to put a micro mobo in a big ATX case.

Actually, your AMD XP 2500+ would be faster than the P-III too. Why not just use it and sell the P-III?

If you get a Celeron D get the one based off the new Cedar Mill Core. They have 512kb cache and they run faster and cooler.

If you get a Celeron D get the one based off the new Cedar Mill Core. They have 512kb cache and they run faster and cooler.

And OC to 5Ghz on stock cooler... :D

The celly is good, but if you want a dual-core, look for the 805. Be aware that it is two preshotts glued together, so the thing is HOT and a power-hog

I think if you really HAVE to upgrade, you might be better to pick up a used 2.4c combo or somthing similar. there are also a lot of cheap used 754 and 939 amd's hitting the classifieds that might suit you well. The celeron is a very poor performing chip, it will definatly out perform the p3 though.

Semprons are decent chips. they arent that neutered compared to the celly's and they are cheap. a new 754 mobo is like... $50 usd, and i dunno about retail sempy's, but at work our cost on them is like $40cdn *$35usd*

if you have a frys in ur area you should look at the adds... sometimes they have AMAZING deals on mobo/cpu combos... like right now they have a E6300 and a ECS mobo (with integrated gfx... good for server less stuff) for 149.99... THAT right there would make the ultimate lil server box and for 149.99 i dont think you could buy a Pentium d 805 and board .... pluss its a C2D so it freakin pwns lol.

but if you can find a 805, or a x2 and board cheap... go for it

or look for a good p4 3.0c for cheap... that what i run my server on right now and its very fast... i run a CS 1.6 server, http, ftp, smtp, mysql, file server...

Someone said this would happen. People would get confused and think celeron D's were dual core.

I'm liking that first Conroe combo deal. Its a good deal!

Shelnutt2 said:
Someone said this would happen. People would get confused and think celeron D's were dual core.

I'm liking that first Conroe combo deal. Its a good deal!

ya its a good deal considering a retail e6300 on the egg is 180... a e6300 and mobo for 150... leaves ya with 30 bucks for a cpu cooler!... almost makes me kick my self when i bought a athlon XP 2400 and a ecs mobo for the same price for a lil server box 2 yrs ago... GOD a e6300 would make an AWSOME server... although its not like i need it.

i am positive the celly d would be faster then the 2500 and much faster than the p3... prob is it is gonna run hot... well cus its a preshot... but a good cpu cooler and ur good... ncie deals man.

Last edited:
Back