Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

College Chances??? USC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 11-26-06, 01:54 PM Thread Starter   #1
Fourevercali

College Chances??? USC

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about chances of getting into Colleges.
If so let me know so i can post back my stats... and maybe help evaluate!
Thanks!
Fourevercali is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 02:01 PM   #2
SavageBasher

...have high grades...

...ask english teachers to help you with your "about me" essay...
SavageBasher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 02:06 PM Thread Starter   #3
Fourevercali

Well i mean sure... But thats stating the obvious. I am a senior... i have done high school... i just wondered if anyone on this forum had any expertise or any background info on what it takes to get into USC. or if my stats are enough.
Old 11-26-06, 02:07 PM   #4
jcll2002

yeah been wondering the same thing myself. Do you guys think im overshooting by looking at ivys + UC Berkeley+stanford (you know...) when i have

- 3.95 GPA weighted
- all honors/ap classes
- baseball team + and stuff like that

havent taken the SATs yet. Im a sophomore
jcll2002 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 02:09 PM Thread Starter   #5
Fourevercali

well here's mine. And to you ^. I wanted Stanford and Berkeley as well... but i think its a reach for me.
Weighted GPA- 4.16 Unweighted is 3.86 Class rank is currently 26/297 (however should be around 19 when all said and done, but SC will never see that Sad ACT is extremely low (this is what worries me) 26 composite 27 math, 26 science, 26 reading, 25 english SAT scores comes Tuesday... I am projecting the same if not better than my ACT score.

My EC's are listed below.

My father attended USC and played waterpolo.

I want to do business. Only other thing i have is an Internship at Dave Ramsey I don't know if anyone has heard of him. He is a nationally syndicated talk show host, who teaches people about money and getting out of debt. I work in the building he does on the eBusiness Marketing department.

Captain of the Varsity Tennis Team and #1 seed President of Habitat For Humanity (Helped start the program at a brand new school. Helped raise over $30,000 in the three years i participated, and was involved in the build of three houses.)

Vice President of National Honor Society (40+hrs of community service) Treasurer of Future Business Leaders of America (includes competition at the end of the year) Member of Youth Against Discrimination Association - (brought student awareness to discrimination that is prevalent in our everyday life.)

Member of the Spanish Club

Member of the LINK Crew - A club In which seniors and juniors are given 10 freshmen and are to mentor them and help them out in any way throughout the entire year. This includes taking them tailgating, including them in school activities, making sure they are keeping up their grades, and tutoring them whenever need be. We help them study for their finals, and really show them the ropes.

Member Of the National Technical Honor Society (applying to be president)

On the School Math Team - (competed with school in our local district) I competed in calculus and statistics.
Old 11-26-06, 02:17 PM   #6
jcll2002

you wont have a problem getting in USC... the only thing i would be worried about is your ACT score.

I know plenty of people who have gotten in there who have far worse resume than you do.

lol im in the NHS and FBLA and FMLA (medical) also
Old 11-26-06, 02:21 PM Thread Starter   #7
Fourevercali

Ya i know! That is what's really freaking me out. I dont know. Hopefully i will get in though. What do u think the percentage chances are. As for you, from what i have read getting into Berkeley is hard if your out of state and you would need to be looking at 30+ act and 2000+ sat. Stanford on the other hand. is 32+ 2100+ and good EC's and great grades! good luck!!!
Old 11-26-06, 02:32 PM   #8
jcll2002

well Stanford i knew was a ridiculous stretch. I live in CA also.

I took the PSAT and got a 2000 without studying (felt it was more important to study my actual classwork than a practice test).

I have a while though so i hope i can work up to my potential.

About you and USC... I cant really say percentage, but what i can say is if i were you i wouldnt be worried at all and would be using USC as a backup. Your resume is impressive.
Old 11-26-06, 02:59 PM   #9
UnrealAlex

I think you'll get into USC for sure. Your business internship will give you a great boost into any business school. I would reccomend you apply to some Ivy business schools as well, Penn, MIT, Columbia...you should google undergraduate business schools and look at the best ones. Business week annually composes a list of the best.

Im applying to USC as well, my stats are slightly lower I got 2080 on my SAT, getting SAT2 scores this tuesday, and retaking SAT on saturday. Like 3.9 weighted, 3.65 unweighted.
I'm really aiming for Berkeley but my hopes arent high, as I dont have many EC.
I'm planning to do business as well, however I've heard that Marshal School of Business grades on a bell curve. That means that come final grading time, the grades are averaged on a scale, and only a few people pull of A's. This sort of turned me off from USC. It's good that you dad is an alumni. I have read that you need good alumni connections from USC, and people graduating often get job offers from alumnies.

Pardon the errors everywhere, Im writing my UC essays right now lol.

Last edited by UnrealAlex; 11-26-06 at 03:10 PM.
UnrealAlex is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 03:36 PM   #10
jack222

You look fine. I dont know much, but you said your dad attended? Doesnt that give you a nice edge to get in?

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked @ 860/2025
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
CM Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS VH238H 23"
Crucial M4 128GB SSD + 2TB storage
CORSAIR 750TX
jack222 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 03:40 PM   #11
RangerXLT8

Because your dad attended, that's almost a guarantee, not to mention a 3.95GPA. You will get in as long as you score 1000 on the SAT, which is easy.

ATI HD4870 512MB
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
2x150GB Raptors
1x320GB Western Digital HDD
LiteOn DVDRW
Heatware 44-0-0
RangerXLT8 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 03:41 PM   #12
sno.lcn
Senior2 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack222
You look fine. I dont know much, but you said your dad attended? Doesnt that give you a nice edge to get in?
Yep, plus if it works the same way the school I'm transferring to in the fall does, you get a little knocked off your tuition, it's $1k/yr off for me because my aunt went there.
And all the admissions people I've talked to said your essay isn't really that important compared to your gpa and such.
sno.lcn is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 03:51 PM Thread Starter   #13
Fourevercali

Well thanks everyone. I feel somewhat better now. Ya My old first choice was MIT. Then i got my act score back... and I never thought of it again.
So with the 26
I am looking at
Berkeley - only reason i am still applying is because i filled the whole application out and wrote essays... before i got the score... so why not just send off.
USC
UT Knoxville for i guess a sure fire safety
Ohio State
Penn State
I think they all have pretty decent business programs except for UT lol.

But again thanks everyone... and good luck on all of your applications
Btw i wish i had a 2080.
Old 11-26-06, 04:43 PM   #14
techun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourevercali
Btw i wish i had a 2080.
wow you're really looking at colleges all over the place, crazy

2050 baby, lol, with bad english and writing scores

7200.11 500gig
techun is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-06, 04:46 PM Thread Starter   #15
Fourevercali

Ha ya i am. I live in Tennessee, just havent updated my user thing. You mind if i borrow that 2050?
Old 11-26-06, 07:46 PM   #16
Seven

My dean used to work admissions at USC, you're fine.

I dunno, my school is friggin hard, even taking 3 APs and a ton of extracurriculars, I feel pressured a lot.

Send in one UC app, and you can essentially apply to them all. It seems like you could do better than USC, I would definately try and get your UC app in and app to UCLA, UC Berkley, etc. Especially if you want to stay in California.

Old 11-26-06, 08:10 PM   #17
jcll2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
My dean used to work admissions at USC, you're fine.

I dunno, my school is friggin hard, even taking 3 APs and a ton of extracurriculars, I feel pressured a lot.

Send in one UC app, and you can essentially apply to them all. It seems like you could do better than USC, I would definately try and get your UC app in and app to UCLA, UC Berkley, etc. Especially if you want to stay in California.
agreed with all of that.
Old 11-26-06, 10:05 PM Thread Starter   #18
Fourevercali

Ya but what are my chances of being an out of state resident. My mom lives in TN i live with her. my dad lives in CA? is there anyway around that. I hear the UC school system is tough to get into if u dont live in CA
Old 11-26-06, 10:20 PM   #19
drenader

They love your out of state money though.

Old 11-26-06, 10:22 PM   #20
Cyrix_2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourevercali
Well thanks everyone. I feel somewhat better now. Ya My old first choice was MIT. Then i got my act score back... and I never thought of it again.
So with the 26
I am looking at
Berkeley - only reason i am still applying is because i filled the whole application out and wrote essays... before i got the score... so why not just send off.
USC
UT Knoxville for i guess a sure fire safety
Ohio State
Penn State
I think they all have pretty decent business programs except for UT lol.

Btw i wish i had a 2080.
I'm still tryin' for MIT with an ACT of 29. I have my interview tuesday I doubt I'll get in, but it can't hurt to try. I'll probably end up at College Park.

ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3

2500k @ 4.9ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

vCore
1.287 |Idle: 33c | Full load: 68c
16gb Corsair XMS 3
| Sapphire 6950 2GB UNLOCKED
F O L D For Team 32!!

Black belt Ubercloxx0r

Audio Technica ATH-A900's
"yet another issue with the R-series. If I actually use it on my lap, I can feel my sperm count dropping."
SANS GSEC Certified
Cyrix_2k is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.