• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connect to my VPN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I've setup my machine (XP Pro) to accept incoming connections for a VPN, also I have my router forwarding the ports so my side of the connection is all setup.

My problem is at my school. I want to establish the VPN so from school I can sent things to my home printer, or I can access my network from afar. Sure I use vnc and I can remote desktop in, but with vnc I'm not directly accessing my network. I'm just controlling my home computer. At my school though I can't access the network setting to establish a VPN. I have full command line though, so does anyone know of a way to establish the VPN via the command line, or software that doesn't need to be installed (like the vnc viewer) that I can run?

Thanks!

nikhsub1 said:
Have you tried HAMACHI? It does need to be installed though... but should suit your needs well. http://www.hamachi.cc/

I tried it, but the thing is it requires itself to be installed..and I can't install anything on the computers, at school. Is there any command line command to establish a VPN?

"I use vnc and I can remote desktop in, but with vnc I'm not directly accessing my network. I'm just controlling my home computer."

And how is that not accessing 'your' network? Your home computer IS on your network.

jajmon said:
And how is that not accessing 'your' network? Your home computer IS on your network.

I mean if I wanted to copy data I have to up/down load it via FTP first then I can manipulate it over VNC...I can't go directly from my school computer to my home network.

As far as your VPN is concerned... The School computer has locked access to system applications that are deamed a security risk. It has also locked all application installations. The best approach would be to talk to your local school IT guy, and see if he can change the permissions to allow access to this. However, be prepared to ensure him that it isnt a security risk.

There may be a HTTP based IIS application that will provide you with a port 80 solution that can give you FTP based access, and even a way to upload documents, and have them opened on your server then printed. Its not VPN, cause you wont be able to access your applications, but it might meet your needs... that is if something like this exists... and if you have the wisdom

How to insure a IT guy of anything can be very difficult. Superstition, ignorance and large egos are job requirements for these positions. (sorry all you IT guys, but I am a MIS man, and you guys are allways a thorn in my side... DAM YOU! hehe).

Do you want a VPN or a Virtual Desktop? You may be able to pull off a Virtual Destop connection.

Last edited:
El<(')>Maxi said:
OpenVPN works CMD line however the problem will be permissions.

That is exactly the issue. That is why you will need to contact the IT staff to open it up for use... If you can pull this off, please report back to us; because I think its one of the 7 signs of the Apocalypse.:mad:

Mike

Back