• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small little thingies around GPU what are those?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Picture004.jpg

the transistor like things around the gpu die

They should be clean for sure. They're some type of surface-mounted component, and nothing good can happen if they get shorted out. AS5 might be 'safe' on them but it would be foolish to risk it.

yup those are transistors. and no you only want the TIM on the core. Like said above it's 99.9% safe, but AS5 can be conductive, so to be safe clean it off

mista ting said:
What are they? is it bad for them to be smothered in conductive AS5? or be wiped with isopropyl alcohol?

Cleaning them off with alcohol won't hurt them. Smothering them in anything conductive would be a bad idea though, although I can't tell you what they are for. The amount of AS5 you need for that GPU shouldn't come anywhere near touching them, let alone covering them up. If you have a habit of using more TIM than you really need, and it running out onto the board, I'ld suggest using some AS Ceramique instead of AS5 to avoid shorting anything.

ya you dont want anything on thoes transistors...

AND WHY O WHY O WHY do ppl always mistake AS5's properties... AS5 IS NOT conductive, yet it is capacitative... 2 very different yet alike things.

I thought those were resistors and not transistors..?

Either way, whatever you do don't knock any of them off. I did this once on a card, but I think I hit a redundant one as it didn't seem to affect anything. :shrug:

That is what I thought the OP was asking, but it appears he was asking about the teeny-weenie Capacitors on the GPU Die itself (covered by the Heatsink).

:cool:

Back