• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FS mounted as read-only-why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misfit138

After xx number of boots I got a forced fsck. I get to 100%, but then FSCK complains that the filesystem is mounted as read only. I then get dumped into a login to 'repair'
...Neither my grub/menu.lst nor my fstab seem to be in error (as far as I can tell)
I am not sure what is telling it to mount as read only, though, any ideas? On boot up I see a message like 'kinit mounting (ext3 filesystem) readonly', and when I change it back (mount -n -o remount,rw /) and reboot, I see a message scrolling down saying that it is being re-mounted as read only again!
What am I doing wrong?

here is my fstab (note-I had to change hdc1 to 0 0 to get around the forced fsck temporarily)

# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cd iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd udf ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/fl vfat user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/hd1 auto user 0 0

here is my menu.lst

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hdc1 vga=773 (<----This used to read kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 ro root=/dev/hdc1 vga=773, but I deleted 'ro', thinking it was the culprit.)
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

The exact error is this:

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only.
To remount it read-write:

# mount -n -o remount,rw /

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.

Last edited:
It's mounted ro because that's how it should be when running fsck, it's not the source of your error. Try running fsck manually and telling it to repair:
Code:
fsck -a /dev/hdc1

Gnufsh said:
It's mounted ro because that's how it should be when running fsck, it's not the source of your error. Try running fsck manually and telling it to repair:
Code:
fsck -a /dev/hdc1

You got it...that worked perfectly, thanks so much.

So much to learn....

Gnufsh said:
an is your friend sometimes, take a look at man fsck for the options for fsck.

I usually avoid the man pages because they are currently impossible for me to understand. I have a learning disability, and am of average intelligence, at best...but it seems like good advice, thank you.
Google.....man pages....tutorial....

It's good for finding that quick option for a command. For example, I used the man page for fsck (which I looked up online because I was on a windows machine at the time) to find the option to have it automatically repair. You can also feel free to ask any questions here, we're happy to help.

Do you mind if I ask what type of learning disability? I have a touch of ADD for which I was briefly medicated for.

I have mild Asperger's, which is mild Autism.
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html
Unfortunately, I seem to accel in more creative/artistic ventures, at the cost of logical/mathematical ability...so Linux is quite hard for me. (Thats why I make so many posts like "I INSTALLED ARCH!" "I CAN PLAY DVD'S!" because it is quite an accomplishment for me.)
GUI's are good for me, because visual association comes naturally.)
I can stare at a man page for a long time, overwhelmed, without understanding very much of anything. I need to learn by asking questions, and then creating a routine through repetition...nothing else seems to work.
So sorry if you get frustrated by my plethora of silly questions.
I apologize for my weirdness. :p

Misfit138 said:
I have mild Asperger's, which is mild Autism.
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html
Unfortunately, I seem to accel in more creative/artistic ventures, at the cost of logical/mathematical ability...so Linux is quite hard for me. (Thats why I make so many posts like "I INSTALLED ARCH!" "I CAN PLAY DVD'S!" because it is quite an accomplishment for me.)
GUI's are good for me, because visual association comes naturally.)
I can stare at a man page for a long time, overwhelmed, without understanding very much of anything. I need to learn by asking questions, and then creating a routine through repetition...nothing else seems to work.
So sorry if you get frustrated by my plethora of silly questions.
I apologize for my weirdness. :p
Don't worry about it, it's unlikely you'll frustrate me. I think everybody who gets a new distro installed or figures out how to plkay DVDs should be proud of themselves. I still can't play DVDs on a windows machine.

Back