• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System, wondering if my cheapo PSU will cause problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedracer422

Registered
Ok, building a new machine (just waiting for UPS to drop off the case tommorrow; everything else is here!) Problem is I have a brand new PSU I ordered for someone who didn't need it a while ago and figured I'd use it in my new build to hold me over 'till I get more cash and get a real PSU.

Here's my new specs:

FX-55 San Diego
7900 GS KO
250 Gb SATA Seagate
MSI K8n Neo4f
16x DVDr Pioneer
2x512 Patriot Sig series
AC Freezer 64 Pro
Rosewill steel case w/ 120mm exhaust fan

The Arctic Cooling HS/F also has a 120mm fan on it, the MoBo only takes a 24 pin connector.

Here's my question, Nvidia reccomends a 20 amp+12v PSU (min 400 watts).

The PSU I'm gonna use (untill I get a decent one) is a Rosewill 400w value line w/ only 14 amps on the 12v+. Will this PSU cause any damage to my machine or even cause it to not post or crash under load?

I know they aren't very good PSUs and it will most likely not last a while, I'm just hoping it will hold out for a month or so 'till i can pick up something decent.

Any input is appreciated,

Speed

Decent price, I'd say you made a good choice and will have nothing to worry about now =)

And it will be nice knowing your PSU will still be up to the challenge when its time to upgrade.

Last edited:
The psu is CERTAINTLY not a part to skimp on.
A friend of mine got his gpu AND cpu fried by an electric surge and a cheapo psu

Basically, that system will be very unstable at the least, but much worse things could happen if you get unlucky

Well then Joe, this is one multiple 12v rail power supply that can have your blessing. Its Seasonic built (you know the guys who make the Silencer line for PC P&C) and its actually a single 12v rail design which the Guru discovered when he opened his up. No circuitry actually separating the "rails" in this guy.

Alexhk said:
Well then Joe, this is one multiple 12v rail power supply that can have your blessing. Its Seasonic built (you know the guys who make the Silencer line for PC P&C) and its actually a single 12v rail design which the Guru discovered when he opened his up. No circuitry actually separating the "rails" in this guy.

Whats the model number of it? If they make for PCP&C then all the numbers(outputs) should be identical...

EDIT: Scratch that response. That would be true.

PCP&C do not build their own power supplies. They design them. Seasonic would be breaching contract if thier own series of power supplies resembled PCP&C. If you notice, none do, and for good reason. They would loose a big contract.

Last edited:
Well, it certainly is quiet!, then again, everything else in the box is completely muffled by the Vid card fan. This is the nicest PSU I've ever owned and even nicer to know that I can load up my case w/ all the fans and drives i want w/ no worries.

Now if I can just get this CPU over 2.9...

Splurged on the PSU and still got crap RAM...lesson learned:-/

Speed

Back