• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Down!!! Please Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

My P4 rig in my sig has stoped working.

When i turn it on, all the fans spool up. Lights go on throughout the case and mobo. -- But other than that its dead.

I get no sound, not even error beeps from the mobo.
I get not video on any of the graphics cards ports. Not even post things from BIOS.

It seems i may still have keyboard. Because Ctrl Alt Del still results in the boot up floppy seek... However that only worked once, and ive not been able to repeat that feat.

All connections seem to be secure w/ no shorts... but from the time i put it in my car to drive home to now, something causes this PC to no longer work.

Please help me get this thing back online... It alone is like half my folding PPD!!!

Thanks, I'll try that. Did that and reseating the GPU. Still dead

... thinking the GPU may be gone... I might swap it out if im still up after i fix my dad's barton bassed rig.

When ever some computers are moved, they can upset everything, sometimes the best thing is take the entire rig apart, and rebuild it back up, from motherboard, and process up. I once had the BOIS jumper fall off my baord, and cos of one simple jumper missing, and I did not see it my PC would not start, it took me hours just to find what was missing, and once, I did then it booted staright up no problems.

Sounds like a bios issue. I had the same problem with my chaintech. It never posted again after that. It may be a different issue with yours though.

I hope its not the mobo... trying the GPU when im home next, just didnt have time before i had to go back to school.

... if that dosent do it I may try and find a friend who has some spare parts, to test more things.

Try wiggling the chipset heatsink. I had a similar problem with an asus mobo. Came to be that there was a short. It would boot outside the case, but not inside. I racked my brain for a week before I noticed that it wouldn't boot when I wiggled the chipset block. I put more ceramique under there and it worked like a charm.

Back