• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different Temperatures - which one is right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

I have started trying Core Temp as a replacement to MSI's CoreCenter. The thing is Core Temp gives temperatures 2-3C below what Corecenter shows, which is grand as its not very accurate (it actually took 8 bios versions to fix the temp reporting :mad: even in the bios, in a cold morning it would show min temp of 41C). Anyway, when I run Stress CPU the temp deference increases, as shown here.

temps.jpg

Any ideas why this 7C difference (sometimes more) happens and which one is right? System temperature is showing right as I have other temp probes floating about. Spec below, except I now have a FX-55 (ClawHammer). Got it free :D

What temp do you get, with only one of the temp. prog.s running?

They might be conflicting with each other! :)

What does the bios temp show? (in the bios upon booting)

When the BIOS it sits around 40C when it has been going a while. Running Strees CPU for both CoreTemp and CoreCenter running seperatly I stil get around 6-7C difference, so I think a conflict can be ruled out. Shoud CoreTemp not be reading hotter than CoreCenter since the probe is in the die?

Last edited:
Ok, downloading now. Will try it when I get home, I'm still in college. :(

Hi!

Why don't you try Everest Ultimate Edition instead. Then you will get info off ALL your temps (MB, CPU, Core 1, Core 2, GPU, GPU surr, GPU diode, HDDs. If you have all probes of course). If you PM me I can help you with the trial edition...

Well I ran Everest and it gave the same temp as CoreCenter. So for ocing I'll go by CoreCenter. I know this is a bit off topic but would lapping my CPU and heatsink help my temps at all?

Well I ran Everest and it gave the same temp as CoreCenter. So for ocing I'll go by CoreCenter.

I was going to suggest using the prog. with the higher reading to give you a safety factor.. If you catch my drift!

I know this is a bit off topic but would lapping my CPU and heatsink help my temps at all?

Unfortunately, you wont know what diff. it will make till you do it.. At least you'll know if the surfaces are flat or not.. :)

Back