• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using pc for game console sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxNightfirexX

I've been searching for answers on google and ask.com for 2 weeks now, and I'm no closer to an solution now than I was when I started. I'm planning on getting a Wii sometime in the near future, and I have little choice but to use my monitor for it because there is no room for another tv in the room where I'll be hooking it up.

Video input is no problem, my monitor covers all the bases, but I've no clue what I really need to do for sound. I'ld like to use the line-in on my onboard sound, but I'm not sure how to handle it beyond the physical hookup via an rca adapter. Do I need special software to handle playing the sound, or can it be done with something natively in Windows?

Most of the info I've found in various sources speaks of nothing but hooking the console directly to speakers, and in my case, that's not an option. My speaker set is an old Cambrige Soundworks 4.1 set, and won't allow an input connection like that. I also tend to use headphones 95% of the time, and direct connect to speakers won't help me there unless I go and drop way more money than I'ld want to for a new set of speakers, with a headphone jack, that would do little more than collect dust.

they make cheap wires that convert a 3/8" jack to the red/white stereo jacks. dont know if that helps you.

Use a RCA to 1.8mm jack Y adaptor to plug into your line in. Go into control panel and make sure it is not muted. Should work right away.

Maviryk said:
Use a RCA to 1.8mm jack Y adaptor to plug into your line in. Go into control panel and make sure it is not muted. Should work right away.

Cool, thanks! I thought I'ld have to have some type of software to handle it, but if it should just work as is, then that's great.

Back