• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL some ppl and their WOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Well long story short theres a guy over at evga forums thats sending back his G80 to newegg, paying restocking fee and rebuying a 7950GX2 because the drivers for the G80 arnt giving him good FPS in one lil section of WOW... its called WAIT FOR MATURE DRIVERS buddy... god i hate supid ppl... mabey this is why i refuse to play wow :beer:

I wont play something like that, not becasue i dont like it. its just casue of the money, and if i had the money, still wouldnt play it. iv seen a few friends start playing it..and i see them anymore. infact there has been deaths and people trying to kill themselfs over this game.

I have to say, that when they made this. i dont think they ever expected this.. but jez, this is crazy.

anyways, i like smaller games..

umm wow. low fps on an 8800? whats that? 200fps? and any way, he should suck it up, some of us are still playing games on a radeon 7500.

nd4spdbh2 said:
Well long story short theres a guy over at evga forums thats sending back his G80 to newegg, paying restocking fee and rebuying a 7950GX2 because the drivers for the G80 arnt giving him good FPS in one lil section of WOW... its called WAIT FOR MATURE DRIVERS buddy... god i hate supid ppl... mabey this is why i refuse to play wow :beer:

You're being a gamecist. I'm sure not every WoW player is this way and I bet just as many, if not more, FPS gamers have done the same.

But someone should stop him. WoW takes 0 advantage of SLI/multi GPU. Getting a GX2 will do absolutely nothing to improve his WoW gaming.

WoW sucks as far as CPU and GPU utilization. It just does not seem to take full advantage of these two crucial parts of your PC. I started gaming WoW with a socket A setup running at 1.8 and a 5700 LE. I now have a 4200+ and 7900GT. I did this upgrade in steps. One piece at a time, and it wasnt't untill I went to 939(because of dual channel), that I found a decent upgrade in performance. The only thing WoW likes/utilizes is memory bandwidth. The game just absolutely loves it. You could have a 5700LE and upgrade to 8800s in SLI, but you wont get the performance gain if you were to double or memory bandwidth.

I obviously do not what is in the rest of the PC, but that gx2 sucks for wow.

--pak

WoW can be fun. How the hell people lose themselves in that game I'll never know. I play maybe twice a week since I have a ton of stuff to do so there is little time. I guess you would have to be incredibly bored to really get that insane over a video game.

pak said:
You're being a gamecist. I'm sure not every WoW player is this way and I bet just as many, if not more, FPS gamers have done the same.

But someone should stop him. WoW takes 0 advantage of SLI/multi GPU. Getting a GX2 will do absolutely nothing to improve his WoW gaming.

WoW sucks as far as CPU and GPU utilization. It just does not seem to take full advantage of these two crucial parts of your PC. I started gaming WoW with a socket A setup running at 1.8 and a 5700 LE. I now have a 4200+ and 7900GT. I did this upgrade in steps. One piece at a time, and it wasnt't untill I went to 939(because of dual channel), that I found a decent upgrade in performance. The only thing WoW likes/utilizes is memory bandwidth. The game just absolutely loves it. You could have a 5700LE and upgrade to 8800s in SLI, but you wont get the performance gain if you were to double or memory bandwidth.

I obviously do not what is in the rest of the PC, but that gx2 sucks for wow.

--pak

How does WoW run on that 4200 in capitals?

Atari said:
WoW can be fun. How the hell people lose themselves in that game I'll never know. I play maybe twice a week since I have a ton of stuff to do so there is little time. I guess you would have to be incredibly bored to really get that insane over a video game.

I started as a casual player and used to think the same way you do. But as you progress further and further in the end game, the casual becomes meaningless.

I'll just leave it at that.

--pak

Rozal said:
How does WoW run on that 4200 in capitals?

It runs great! Again CPU mhz does not seem to make a huge difference, but I got the x2 because I run two wows at the same time. With an X2 I can run two copies of wow in a 40 man raid with very minimal performance hit. I also run other applications while playing wow like TS or vent.

--pak

it's a game, not an alternative to life

and speaking of the poor utilization of cpu/gpu, i wouldnt be surprised if in the near future blizzard made an attempt to upgrade wow considering how filthy rich they are from it.

PYROMANIAC said:

and speaking of the poor utilization of cpu/gpu, i wouldnt be surprised if in the near future blizzard made an attempt to upgrade wow considering how filthy rich they are from it.

To you maybe, but I know many many people who I have lost as friends because of that stupid (yes, I said stupid) game. Gone be the days of talking on the phone and ****, replaced by "OMG I R TEH EPIC MAGE!111 TIME TO GRIND PEE-VEE-PEE"

I actually tried the game, wasn't as good as people said it was. I got bored after about an hour of playing because of those stupid quests that involved killing X amount of X creature, rinse and repeat.

I actually was Addicted to SWG back in the CU/Pre-cu era....wait I know why I was addicted, the game actually had a Community that was nice.....something that WoW lacks completely.

Yep...I forced myself to play it. Found it fun at first but the 'homosexualness' truly shined through after about a solid 8 hours of playing. Just got old, sadly, I bought an account and cancelled it within 15 minutes. I couldn't see myself playing that game if I tried. My best friend however, on the other hand, felt the same way towards the game. We both tried the trial, now he is glued to it. No more FPS, hanging out, driving 60+ miles to go to a ****ty resturant in a huge mall, nothing. ASIDE FROM HIM, I've lost maybe 10 good friends, it's effing sad to be honest.

That kid was probably doing something wrong. There is no way a 8800GTX could run even WoW terribly. He probaly had a crappy PSU, didn't install the drivers right, etc. I mean like, wow. If I can get my 6600GT to play Oblivion @ 1024x768, full grass and distant objects, large (max) textures, and most other settings at medium (aside from shadows), and average 30 ~ 40fps, dips in 20's, he didn't do something right.

I have a younger brother who is addicted to a MMO called Ragnarok Online. Not the real one, he plays on an private server with rates of 30k. So, that means, the experience you'd normally get TIMES 30k, its pretty cheap. And all he does is PVP. You take that away from him, he threatens suicide, cries, breaks stuff, screams and yells. It's terrible. You take WoW from someone they act the same way, like that guy.

Wow Ziggo0. If i had a brother like that, i'd find a way to block his PC from getting to that game anymore. Seriously, if someone says their going to kill themselfs because they can't play a game, then they don't deserve to play the game anymore.

I couldn't get into WoW either mysef. Not my style game. though, i LOVE Eve-online.

luckely, i'm not ungodly addicted to eve. i'll go 3 -4 days without playing it. I'll spend my weekends with my g/f ( if she isn't working ), or hang out with a few friends.

BUT, i have a friend, who's addicted to wow. multiple level 60 characters. always raiding. Lets call him "Sam". Well another friend of mine ( we'll call him "matt" ), got into WoW because of sam.

so NOW, sam drags his laptop to matts house, and they both sit there, playing WoW non-stop. every day, whenever they arn't working, or in college.

sam evidently has only a few classes in college, and doesn't work. And matt works part-time.

luckely, matt isn't as addicted. Matt will still come over and visit, he now has a new G/F. But sam is a total addict. he hasn't had a g/f in almost 2 years now ( coincidince? ), Whenever our DND group would get together, half the time we'd have to wait for sam, because he was in the middle of a raid, and we'd have to start our gaming without him, wait 2 hours for him to show up, Or just play without him. and he has one of the most important characters in our DND games. it sucked! and we ALL were getting royally Ticked off.

He used to come over with his guitar, and matt would come over with his bass, and they'd jam out while i had my drum-set still put together. and we'd screw around. havn't done that in well over a year.

I barly visit them, because they are doing the SAME thing every time i visit. Both on each of their PC's playing WoW.

i had another friend who plays wow. But he's in college, and works full-time. He now plays wow for fun, and is less...addicted to it as he used to be. but thats ONLY because he HAS to do the other things first.

i played the beta when it was out. couldn't get into it that well. Then my dad bought the game about 6 months ago. so i figured i'd give it a shot as well. i couldn't even make it through the 14 day trial period before i bored, cancelled my account, and quit.

Lol, you think those guys are bad? Here is a story of a friend of mine:

She is 37 I think now and constantly plays wow. When I would go visit her on her ventrilo or call her up she'd always be like "I'm playin wow, can't talk" or people in there would be like "clear the god damn channel, we're in an instance".
I'd like to say she plays a good 6 hours a day every day after her job.

Well I messaged her up a while back askin how dating was and if she had met anyone yet. She replied "Dating? oh no I don't have time for that anymore...I NEED to grind grand marshal on my server". Putting a game infront of your social life is sad, but if that makes her happy then so be it.

Sad thing is she is super hot...meh, some people are just like that I guess :(.

PYROMANIAC said:

You would think so. You would also think that paying $15 a month would cover the funds to have blizzard to upgrade the software. If you look at the technical forums on wow's site, there are several post of gamers wanting some sort of software upgrade to take advantage of the latest technologies that really aren't too recent, multi GPU/CPU to say the least. But blizzard argues that such an over haul requires too much. And if you know blizzard, they don't give a definite answer either way. They do not say if they plan to or do not plan to do such an upgrade.

I personally wish they would. If high high CPU mhz and multi G80's made my game run better, I'd be outside waiting for the parts to come in right now. Maybe it is a good thing.

And I know some one is going to mention the dual core patch that will come out in the expansion that was previously released and taken away. It is really not a patch to utilize dual core, its a fix so they don't bug out.

--pak

Back