• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD DVD wins, Blu-ray loses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rseven

Before anyone plunks down any big bucks for Sony's latest Betamax disaster you may want to check out this story from Tom's Hardware.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/
I know TH isn't always respected around here, but a lot of shills have been plugging Blu-ray despite the fact that it's intro has been an unmitigated screw up. The mainstream press is owned by mega business and they want Sony to succeed as many large companies and movie studios are on board, but consumers are seeing it a different way and they will decide the HD DVD is simply cheaper and better.

They never let the facts deter them from a good story!
Seriously though, Sony is in some pretty deep s***!

rseven said:
They never let the facts deter them from a good story!
Seriously though, Sony is in some pretty deep s***!

yes they could be doing alot better. but i have no doubt they will make some more great comeback attempts. like switching to hd dvd for one ..lol

i have faith in technology..and if they cant grasp on to something and make it happen then well.. sony you will be missed (slightly) :cry:

Sounds like the writer doesnt like sony at all.

sorta what ****es me off with Toms, the articles are always biased and there is never any factual references provided, when i read there news spiels i just feel like im reading a rant from some guy who probably got jipped byt he company he's writing about.

fair enough he brings up some good points, but if your gonna claim numbers provide some evidence...

tell you the truth .. even if there was no buisness for blu ray and it eventually got completely abandoned (wait a second something sounds strange :D )... i would still buy the ps3 for a gaming console if thats what i was in the market for..GAMING... so i ended up buying a useless player.. sucks i guess but who cares.. i just want to game.. the dvd is bonus in my eyes.. besides im sure ill have a home dvd player besides the one stuffed in my gaming console (should be gaming/AV-entertainment system).

iwill share a little something with all you guys that i want you to remember. no matter how this all turns out. were gonna be ok !!

I don't about everyone else, but I couldn't give a crap about what kinda movies they can hold as dvd is just fine for me. I want these for data storage! It would great not have to use 6 dvd's every time I want to backup something large.

This is really too bad for Sony. It seems like they have been going down hill. I didn't see the PS3 a huge success and now Blu-ray is failing them. I have also noticed all of their widescreen HDTVs have been dropping in price. The 60" SXRD was $2,900 and dropped down to $2,300 around here. Looks like they are trying to make some deals to sell more products.

Like the article says "BetaMax, Mini-Disk, MemoryStick, and now Blu-ray. At least Sony is consistent."

Sony always comes out with the coolest stuff, but they are just too dam greedy with their technology. While everyone and their dogs can easily get the rights to manufacture HD DVD.... the guys who want BlueRay have to jump threw hoops and kiss sonys a$$ with big checks. The story of sony's life. Sony has always been a step ahead with their technologies, but just can't seem to loosen up on pricing.

But hey look at the bright side. With PS3 costing $600 a pop, PC gaming could come back in a big way.

This is to bad. Wonder how sony's going to try to get back up. hope its nothing truly desperate like trying to make ed popular (thats enchanced definition, and is a bad attempt at making a hd/normal definition hybrid.)

hyperasus said:
But hey look at the bright side. With PS3 costing $600 a pop, PC gaming could come back in a big way.
It wont.. not with vista and DX10.. Everyones going to stick with XP.. or the common person anyways until they have to get vista.

Yeah Yeah...... heard it all before. Before you know it we will all be trudging along on Vista. I'm sure a handful of you will be on xp for quite a long time yet...(talking to all you stubborn whimpers still using W2K), but the rest of the masses will swiftly convert to Vista just because its the newest thing.

Phrenetical, there are not a lot of numbers to come by, but some can be found here.
http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm
Also, Toshiba, is about to release their second generation players, while Sony hasn't even gotten their own first gen player to market. The bottom line in this format war is price and Toshiba has a clear advantage there. While I agree with TH, I certainly understand that they have their own axe to grind. As for not liking Sony, well, they pretty much have made themselves unpopular.

I am still using regular dvd for storage. They are cheap, store what they store. Now blue ray dvd burners are like $500 and up.

Blu-ray has delayed the Playstation 3 to a point where Sony may have to wait until the Playstation 4 to recover.

I found this funny.

SeasonalEclipse said:
It wont.. not with vista and DX10.. Everyones going to stick with XP.. or the common person anyways until they have to get vista.

my bet is people break bread for it .. not anything new

Back