• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64bit livecd with hugemem for folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

Any idea which one I could use? I've not too familiar with linux live-cd's (though I use linux for work), but would like to use one for folding at work. I have 2 8-cpu servers with 32GB of ram that I can use for folding for about a month. The hardisks for them did not arrive yet, but I would like to make use of the chance while waiting.

I want to use the new beta-smp client, so the live-cd has to be 64bit.

I tried an ubuntu 6.04 64bit live cd but don't know enough about linux to get the nic drivers installed. You probably know enough to get it running on your servers and the nic on it is probably more likely to be recognised than on my GA-965P-S3.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not but I got this from the FAQ section on FAH 64 bit Linux.:shrug:

If you have 4 physical CPUs, we do not recommend using HT, as this presents the operating system with 8 logical processors, which will make the SMP client run inefficiently

I know you are not running HT but you indicate that you are running systems with 8 processors.

I believe this is only related to HT, as in an earlier beta stage having 8 cpu's was not a problem. The only thing that has changed is that now they detect the amount of cpu's, and run that many threads (it used to be hardcoded to 4 threads). I guess for HT it can choke the system if it's running 8 threads with 4 cores.

This is a guess, but I'll be able to compare this 8 core Opteron system with a 4 core Xeon 5160 (2.66ghz Core 2 Duo based Xeon) so we'll see how it goes. :D

What kernels can you boot with on the ubuntu cd? The installer is also a "live cd"?

dropadrop said:
What kernels can you boot with on the ubuntu cd? The installer is also a "live cd"?
Sorry version correction. I downloaded 6.10 and yes the live cd and the installed cd are the same. I will have to boot up the cd to see what options are available on boot. I will let you know what I find out.

Edit: I found no option for starting different kernels at boot. I also was not able to find out what kernel v6.1 is running when I checked the ubuntu site. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
Back