Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

DS3, New case install, shorting, where?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 08:52 AM Thread Starter   #1
balael

DS3, New case install, shorting, where?

I just installed a DS3 conroe system into my case, and for some reason this motherboard is shorting out when I move the case. What is the problem here? i've built quite a few, but for some time this reason i'm getting a short. On the ds3.

Do i need to use cardboard spacers?
If i do use them, do I use them on all the holes in the DS3?
What are some other common areas to look for?

I have removed all the extra mounting holes behind the mobo, but for some reason it's shorting.

Balael
balael is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-01-06, 10:48 AM   #2
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Look across the motherboard with a flashlight to see if there's any dropped screws or plugs not fully in place.

A card (AGP PCI PCIX) can do this also, so make sure they're seated completely into the slots. You can rock the case a bit too while looking with a flashlight to make sure that's not your problem.

After that, I'd start looking to the mounting system behind the motherboard. Ya know, count the screws used and count the stand-offs to make sure they number the same (We've all had to do that I'd guess).
Your motherboard can also have a component too close to a stand-off (I've had that). A small piece of electrical tape can cover that component (or stand-off), or you can use a nylon one if you can find them, or just don't use that particular stand-off (but be gentle to that part of the board with no support under it).

Hope that helps, bud.
And to the forums!

*BTW, if your case uses those push-in mounts that fit square holes on the case, those sometimes get crossed onto a circuit on the back of the motherboard because they are so big. You can superglue those little red paper washers over the bolt hole on the push-mounts to insulate them, but the bolt through the motherboard would still provide a good ground as it is supposed to.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Diggrr; 12-01-06 at 10:58 AM.
Diggrr is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.