• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is ULTRA a good brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

A friend of mine has a 400w ultra PSU that he got at a crazy low price... and wants to sell it to me after using it for 6months... I trust my friend, and the PSU has UV reflective x-connect cables... but I don't know anything about the Ultra brand...

Anybody have any knowledge of this brand?

Jdrake90

no. I also got my ultra 600w psu wicked cheap. The more I was reading about ultra after thatm the more I found out that I was one of the lucky few that didnt have their Ultra psu fail. Recently, one of the fans failed on it, so I just replaced the whole psu with somthing better. I wouldnt buy it. The way I see it is that if theres one thing that should be top end in your whole computer, its the power supply. If its a junk psu, it could take out your entire rig.

Depends on the model, JonnyGuru didn't think the Ultra X-infinity was to bad and my ultra X-connect 500w model has been serving me well on everything from a heavily overclocked p4 and x850xt pe to my current main rig. I don't know how good the newer ones are though.

I just make a suggestion, that a 400w power supply. In the future if you will build a new system you might find that 400w isn't enough. Why not save money now and buy 500w or 600w. Another thing is how efficient power supply is, new power supply come with over 80% efficiency. It makes them bit cheaper to run and they run pretty quiet. If you don't have any problems with your current power supply why changing. Though the choice is yours.

My machine is not going to be upgraded anytime soon... and we're talking 5 bucks for this PSU... I just want the uv cables... and it would be cool not to have to do my own sleeving.

I just don't want it to fry my system... and would rather just sleeve my sparkle 350w if I need to.

Jdrake90

Back