• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one should i get ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burnt_Ram

i'm going to buy either another 3200+ Venice, or a 3700+ San Diego. 77.00 for the 3200, and 118.00 for the 3700+. only reason i'm even asking is because of the 1mb L2 cache the 3700+ has, cause i'm sure the 3200+ will overclock aswell if not better ;) which one should i go for ?

Im assuming you mean socket 939.. And I also suggest saving up for dual core.. there is no point to get single core at this point in time really.. It depends on what your going to do witht he machine.. but still.. I suggest saving up the extra 40 or so dollars and getting dual core... Like the 3800X2 or something like that. And either way I suggest you go AM2.. It will have a much easier upgrade path then 939.. since 939 is at the end of the road.. what it has out now is good but in a years time it will be old school.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Im assuming you mean socket 939.. And I also suggest saving up for dual core.. there is no point to get single core at this point in time really.. It depends on what your going to do witht he machine.. but still.. I suggest saving up the extra 40 or so dollars and getting dual core... Like the 3800X2 or something like that. And either way I suggest you go AM2.. It will have a much easier upgrade path then 939.. since 939 is at the end of the road.. what it has out now is good but in a years time it will be old school.
yes i meen s939, i just want a cheap upgrade for my wifes ****ty 3000+ winchester. i was going to go for an opteron 170, but i cant find a decent price. they're still around 300.00 here :(. as far as AM2 goes, if i'm going to have to buy a new bord and ram i might as well go core2 right ?

I would get a Opty 170, I have found them in Canada for roughly $245 or a 165 which has the limiting 9 multiplier @ around $215. Otherwise is budget is a problem get the Sandy.

3000+ - 3200+ or 3000+ -3700+ is not a worthy upgrade.. Not wortht he marginal performance increase. I suggest getting dual core like the opty mentioned above.

SeasonalEclipse said:
3000+ - 3200+ or 3000+ -3700+ is not a worthy upgrade.. Not wortht he marginal performance increase. I suggest getting dual core like the opty mentioned above.
the current 3000+ i have is only @ 2.2. MAX it will do, so if i got another 3200/3700+ that will do as well as the venice in my sig, yes it would be worth it. i have a 7800GT in that machine and it's so badly bottlenecked its not funny :( and dual core, i dunno. i use my machines for gaming only so dual core, unless i can get one real cheap isnt worth it dont think? the main question i have is, is the 1mb cache that much better in gaming over the 512mb ? i heard it is ? if its not i'll just buy a 3200+, as it's dirt cheap and call it a day i think ....

u can build an am2 socket, x2 core, DDR2 1gb for $400. the $100 you will spend on a cpu upgrade will pay for the mobo or ram on the new system.

if you really want to stick with 939, get the 3700+, going from 3000 to 3200 is not worth it.

i looked into getting a 939 system, it's good now, but it will be cold dust in a year or two.

Back