• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket A HSF??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

Looking for a new heatsink for my dad's socket A PC.
Its running a 2400+ Tbred. I will overclock it just a 'little bit' for him. But he's gona get something a bit better than the stock cooler.

Here's what I was thinking of. Which one of these, or another one - if you have a different recomendation - should i use for it??
Preformance > Price for this one.

Thermalright Ultra 90 w/ a 92mm panflow. Here
Alpha PAL8055F w/ panflow M1A BX Here
Or a volcano 12 Here

Ultra 90 will not fit socket A.
Best Socket A coolers out were the SI-97 (Thermalright) SLK-900a and slk-800a Being 90 and 80 mm respectively.

The volcano will wirk, but they were pretty low end. Better than stock, but not great by any means.

The Zalman mentioned above reqiures a motherboard with the four holes around the socket to properly mount it.
Good luck finding any of the SLKs mentioned.
The Volcano is probably your best bet, although it's very loud when turned up to max.
Good luck.

Not really. Personally, I never cared for the copper/aluminum composite designs. As we all know copper is superior where thermal conductivity is concerned. The composite designs tend to lose efficiency at the joint between the two metals.

Then again, if the OP is not looking for optimum cooling that may not matter. The round pins on that Alpha are likely better than fins where noise is concerned.

Im looking for an 80mm fan if i can.
I want better than stock cooling.
But it cant be horribly loud... Or at least only use a constant speed fan.

Currently my thinking is either a volcano 12 with a more reasonable constant speed 80mm fan. OR an alpha PAL80 with a similar fan.

ziggo0 said:
Volcano 12 was a very effective heatsink. This HSF will always have my love: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835114011
That Dynatron is a very good design. Have installed several of those myself. Skived fins are much better at transferring the heat from the base than soldered offerings. Only disadvantage I could say about those Dynatron is the 60mm fan.

If one were so inclined, they might search for some of the discontinued Thermalright heatsinks on eBay or the "for sale" threads. Sk-7, SLK-800, and it's big brother SLK-900A. All of which are clip on designs.

Nah, I never saw the old thermalright heatsinks over a year ago when i was first looking for my own rigs cooling.
Eventualy i settled for an XP-90.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Nah, I never saw the old thermalright heatsinks over a year ago when i was first looking for my own rigs cooling.
Eventualy i settled for an XP-90.
The XP-90 is another good one. The copper model (XP-90C) would be my choice if it was compatible with my board. Actually I thought they were not available anymore. But they can still be had for $50 from Xoxide if this page is right ~ http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-xp-90c-cpu-cooler.html.

BTW .... here is a XP-90/XP-90C comparrison. Interesting the copper unit is almost twice as heavy. Likely why they went to the composite unit.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=139

Last edited:
I gave up long ago looking for one of the SLKs, I settled with an Aero 7, and despite being called a low end HSF, it does its job it keeps my barton at near ambient temps idle, and about 45C loaded (ambient is 23). This is at about 2600 rpm which is the highest speed that I cant hear. If I turn it up to max, it's like a hair dryer and keeps the barton at 38C loaded.

Quick69GTO said:
The Zalman mentioned above reqiures a motherboard with the four holes around the socket to properly mount it.
Good luck finding any of the SLKs mentioned.
The Volcano is probably your best bet, although it's very loud when turned up to max.
Good luck.

I've installed it with 2-hole mounting like the 939's. Works quite well. I have it as my "backup" in case a pump croaks.

I bought a SLK- uh 700? with tmd fan for my Tbred 2100 about 3-4 years ago, made it a 2700 and very quiet. I managed to grab it on sale back then for about $20, not even sure if you can still get them.

Im willing to go low budget if i can stick on my own 80mm fan and lap the base for better pref.

Anyone wana stop with sugesting heatsinks that havnt been out of production for years??

There is the Thermalright SI-97A, as Athlonhead suggested. It is still in production, and is nothing really more than an SI-97 adapted to work with 939 and 754, I believe there are more, but I don't know off the top of my head. It's not too expensive either. I think it averages around $35-40 at various websites.

Back