• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this RAID setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I doubt I'd go with that controller for a number of reasons. About the only thing going for it is cost.

The cable attachments are external and that would require passing the cables back into the case, normally a bad idea. Next, There are limited reviews of the card, mostly on a Mac OS and user reviews on Newegg were about half nonfunctional. No reviews on storagereview.com yet either. It might be a decent entry level RAID controller or it could be a complete dog.

From a performance standpoint, RAID-5 is going to be painful. It almost always is...especially from a write standpoint. Parity calculations on a soft RAID processor and no onboard RAM are going to be slow. Your better bet would be either two drives in RAID-1 or 4 drives in RAID0+1 on this or a similar controller. The performance will be better than RAID-5 and for the RAID-1 option, the two existing ports on your MB will do the job with less latency penalty than a PCI-X card.

PCI-X will not add anything form a performance standpoint, since your board has only PCI 2.x slots. Using the onboard drive controller with direct access to the southbridge will probably give a bit better results on burst data than using the PCI-X card.

Reliability is another major concern and I'd think about products with a longer backtrail as a better potential option. Redundancy is fine, but if the controller dies, it could take both disks with it into oblivion.

The 250GB drives are fine, but you didn't mention backup strategy. RAID is not a backup. Backing up to DVD would probably be a decent solution.

For alternative cards, I'd probably recommend either this one for a 2 port RAID-1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816102060

or either of these for a RAID 0+1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816102080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816115030

The second link, Highpoint, does support RAID-5, but I'd expect some performance hits. Both of the 4 port options are a bit more expensive, in the 130.00 range.

The bottom line is that this is an engineering tradeoff. You have three criteria, cheap, fast and reliable. You get to pick two...

Please remember, even with RAID-5, RAID is not a backup. I've seen too many arrays lost without backups.

Last edited:
take thoes hds and make them seagate 250gb Perpindicular 7200.10 sata2 16mb chache drives and you will be much happier... they will be quite a bit faster at sustainted rates than thoes wd's.

and why the hd cage thingy... dont you have room in your case for 3 hds... LOL i have room for 12 hds with no modification :beer:

If you want Raid 5 on the cheap why not use Windows Xp's built in software RAID.

Tom's has instructions HERE.

It will be slow but no need for a raid card.

Xaotic said:
I doubt I'd go with that controller for a number of reasons. About the only thing going for it is cost.

The cable attachments are external and that would require passing the cables back into the case, normally a bad idea. Next, There are limited reviews of the card, mostly on a Mac OS and user reviews on Newegg were about half nonfunctional. No reviews on storagereview.com yet either. It might be a decent entry level RAID controller or it could be a complete dog.

From a performance standpoint, RAID-5 is going to be painful. It almost always is...especially from a write standpoint. Parity calculations on a soft RAID processor and no onboard RAM are going to be slow. Your better bet would be either two drives in RAID-1 or 4 drives in RAID0+1 on this or a similar controller. The performance will be better than RAID-5 and for the RAID-1 option, the two existing ports on your MB will do the job with less latency penalty than a PCI-X card.

PCI-X will not add anything form a performance standpoint, since your board has only PCI 2.x slots. Using the onboard drive controller with direct access to the southbridge will probably give a bit better results on burst data than using the PCI-X card.

Reliability is another major concern and I'd think about products with a longer backtrail as a better potential option. Redundancy is fine, but if the controller dies, it could take both disks with it into oblivion.

The 250GB drives are fine, but you didn't mention backup strategy. RAID is not a backup. Backing up to DVD would probably be a decent solution.

For alternative cards, I'd probably recommend either this one for a 2 port RAID-1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816102060

or either of these for a RAID 0+1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816102080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16816115030

The second link, Highpoint, does support RAID-5, but I'd expect some performance hits. Both of the 4 port options are a bit more expensive, in the 130.00 range.

The bottom line is that this is an engineering tradeoff. You have three criteria, cheap, fast and reliable. You get to pick two...

Please remember, even with RAID-5, RAID is not a backup. I've seen too many arrays lost without backups.

XAOTIC, thank you for the time you took to look over my system and recommend solutions to my problem. I really do appreciate it.

I checked out your links and recommendations and took a little time to research my options more fully.

I have a friend who runs a Thecus N5200 with RAID 5 and loves it. He had a drive go down already and aparently seemlessly replaced it.

So, I was hoping to get your opinion on NAS systems. This seems like a better, safer option removing dependence on any MS OS to run the array and putting it under separate hardware control.

If I'm going to spend $500+ on a 500GB-1,000GB data safety (I'll stop using the term "backup") solution I want be able to make it a part of my every day goings on.

Unforunately my computer is 4+ years old now and I currently need to upgrade monitor, cpu, motherboard, ram, psu and video card. So, I guess I keep saving my pennies for a strong NAS setup and add it to the list.

In the meantime, what can all of you tell me about NAS? Personal experiences with it? Bottlenecks in the system to be aware of? Preparing/having a router/switch to support 10/100/1000 speeds? My friend made it clear he loves his so I know what he thinks...

How about the THECUS N4100?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Back