• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 400GB HD - Unable to install! Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevinnn

Registered
I have a 400GB SATA drive that I would like to use for storage. Right now, I'm using a 130GB WD Raptor SATA.

When I installed the drive physicall, and rebooted windows xp pro, my OS recognized that new hardware was installed but it didn't show up as a Hard drive.

Btw, I am running Windows XP with no service packs. Should I get SP 2?

Thanks!

Yes get SP2, that way you can use your 150GB WD Raptor to it's full capacity.

And, you need to format the 400GB. Got to Start -> Run -> "diskmgmt"

Right mouse click on the drive and click "format." Should be all good after that.

Thanks guys. My raptor is currently @ 130GB; when I update to SP2, how will I make it 150GB?

Also when I type diskmgmt into run, I don't see anything.

You're going to have to update to SP2 first. The Raptor should automatically come up as a 150GB. If not you may have to reformat it to repartition it. I don't think that is the case though.

You can also try to search for the diskmgmt.msc. It should be in your Windows/System32 folder.

Right-click My Computer -> select Manage. Then open Disk Management. You can also get to it via control panel-> administrative tools -> computer management.

You'll need to get your hands on a slipstream SP2 XP install CD in order to install on a large drive. You could partition a larger drive to the limit (137GB?) and use the remainder a logical drive on an extended partition.

You'll need a 3rd party utility to recover unused HDD space lost during a pre SP2 XP installation.

Thanks again for responses...I've installed sp2, but my HD's are still limited at 130GB. How can I use the full space without reformating?

I'd like the drives to be one partition. Is Partition magic capable of making it one full drive with full 150GB?

Back