• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuniq Tower and TT Armor case w/ side fan - does it fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leojharris

anyone using the tuniq tower with an armor case that has the 250mm side fan installed?

been doing some random air cooler research and was curious.

yes it fits but a think it will depend on the position of motherboard socket.

I tested with a Abit KN8 Ultra

I had to cut a bit

I have the Tuniq Tower 120 and the TT Silver Armor with 25cm side fan panel. I also have the new EVGA 680i MB, and the side window WOULD NOT CLOSE. It hit the top of the tower. The fan itself looked clear, but the case/arms were not. I liked the cooler, so I had a couple of options. 1: get out the dremel and cut on the fan case. 2. remove fan and leave grate. 3. have a new mount made up and put in a smaller "thin" fan.

I decided to first get out the dremel and if that failed, goto plan 2. I put some tape on the outside grating to show where the conflict was - basically between 9 and 12 o'clock if you are looking at the case. I then cut the side of the fan case down about 6mm. I also removed one of the fan screw mounts, and cut two of the arm off. I also trimmed a bit on the clear part of the center of the fan. Anyway, it worked and all is good now. The fan is pretty slow turning so it is still stable with the missing arms. I need to clean up my dremel work a bit, but I'm happy. Let me know if you want pics.

Chris

cdh311 said:
I decided to first get out the dremel and if that failed, goto plan 2. I put some tape on the outside grating to show where the conflict was - basically between 9 and 12 o'clock if you are looking at the case. I then cut the side of the fan case down about 6mm. I also removed one of the fan screw mounts, and cut two of the arm off. I also trimmed a bit on the clear part of the center of the fan. Anyway, it worked and all is good now. The fan is pretty slow turning so it is still stable with the missing arms. I need to clean up my dremel work a bit, but I'm happy. Let me know if you want pics.

Chris

great job!

i haven't bought the tuniq yet and don't know that i ever will but was curious as it was one of the possible coolers to test against my current setup in the distant future.

as far as modifying your case .... did it occur to you to simply move the fan and fan mounting assembly to the *outside* of the case window? that's crossed my mind as a possiblity as well ...

thanks for the word ... and yeah, post some pics ...

TT-120

Leo,

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Yeah, I thought about mounting the fan on the outside - for about 2 seconds!! I have a 17 month old daughter who would beeline straight for it and rip it right off!! She likes the blue hue of the case, and has re-booted me once already. I have to remember to flip the power switch on the PSU or she will fire it up at will.

Anyway, great case and great cooler. I got the silver to save on weight.

Chris

cdh311 said:
Leo,

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Yeah, I thought about mounting the fan on the outside - for about 2 seconds!! I have a 17 month old daughter who would beeline straight for it and rip it right off!! She likes the blue hue of the case, and has re-booted me once already. I have to remember to flip the power switch on the PSU or she will fire it up at will.

Anyway, great case and great cooler. I got the silver to save on weight.

Chris

funny. good point about the 17 month'r. :)

i just took a closer look at the side panel and it really would be quite easy to move the fan to the outside; fyi, should anyone have any space problems and with an eye towards possibling reselling the case later on. looks like you could even tape the black mesh finger protector cover on as well (for wayward little ones) ... would look sort of cool i think.

i agree. fantastic case; i can't imagine a better case for keeping your MB cool; my cpu and motherboard temps actually go *up* with the side panel door off. :) funny.

i am sickened with temptation when looking over the new stacker 830's however ... would be just as good if not better for seriously cool case temps (as opposed to the 250mm side fan that our cases have ... the stacker lets you put 4 120mm's in the side panel. sick.

cm830-lside.jpg

had i known the black case weighed as much as a tank, i probably would have gotten the all aluminum too ... *heavy* ... i never move the computer so not a big deal, though.

Last edited:
TT

Yeah, the Stacker looks very nice. A few more bucks though, but what the heck. Anyway, here are the pics. Please no comments on the rough job, I am not done cleaning it up, but it works!! I need a better bit for my dremel to finish the job.

Attachments

• 0203.jpg
    0203.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 0201.jpg
    0201.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 0205.jpg
    0205.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 0202.jpg
    0202.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 0204.jpg
    0204.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 64
cdh311 said:
Yeah, the Stacker looks very nice. A few more bucks though, but what the heck. Anyway, here are the pics. Please no comments on the rough job, I am not done cleaning it up, but it works!! I need a better bit for my dremel to finish the job.

that worked out nice ... doesn't look too messy at all ...

jeez ... that cooler is just so incredibly *fat* ... i looks like another computer inside your computer!

thanks for the tips and photos ...

Back