• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm looking for a fan controller....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

I'm looking for a fan controller for an upcoming transferance of my current hardware into an old(new)[modified] case. It's an old Antec from 1999, the case in which I built my first home-built rig when I went to college. Two 5.25 externals, two 3.5 externals, two 3.5 internals. I'm modifying the case for both function AND fashion, but function is my top priority.

I need a fan controller. I have three levels of priorities: 1 = Must, 2 = preferred, 3 = bonus.

1. The controller absolutely MUST:

A. Be compatible with 4-pin fans (my two red-LED 120mm case fans are 4-pin molexes). This is the single highest priority I have for the entire controller. I absolutely refuse to use a 3-to-4-pin adapter. That's absurd and inelegant and sloppy.
B. Support enough amperage to control two LED 120mm fans at full blast without burning up
C: High quality! There are plenty of fan controllers/thermal monitors on Newegg, but many of them receieve mediocre/lackluster reviews due to poor build quality (knobs that fall off) or poor circuitry (LEDs that fail, channels that fail, warning alarms that sound for no reason). This is unnacceptable to me.

2. Preferrably, the controller:

A. Includes an LCD readout for temperature display *AND* its own thermal probes for temperature monitoring
B. Can allow the fan to run at its highest speed (Some controllers seem to limit maximum fan speed when compared to a fan that's plugged directly into the power supply. I don't care if the controller can completely turn the fan OFF, I just want to be able to run the fan at the full 12 volts.)
C: Fits in a 5.25 bay (although 3.5 will work in a pinch, I'd prefer 5.25)

3. As an added bonus:

A: Any included lights on the front are RED (which probably isn't going to exist, so...)
B. If not red, then either GREEN or ORANGE (blue is acceptable, but will look like utter shiate)

I recently ordered a Sunbeam thermal controller from Newegg. At first it seemed to fit my needs in that it controlled two fans and I THOUGHT it controlled 4-pin fans. Unfortunately, it only supports 3-pin fans without an adapter. And it has a blue LCD. Why is blue so bloody popular, anyway? Anyway, I RMAd it today.

Newegg has a good selection, but none of them seem to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Can anyone here recommend something that will suit my MUST HAVE needs as well as most of the my other priorities?

In a nutshell:

1. Controls 4-pin fans
2. Quality
3. Black
4. 5.25 design (3.5 will work)

Back