• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

argh still stuck at e6600 3.02!! New rig too..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninja6o4

Registered
Ok, I made an earlier thread about being stuck on at 3.02 with an E6600.. At first I thought it was my PSU. Anyway, long story short, I have a completely new rig save for case, soundblaster, and cpu. And I'm still limited at 3.02! Going past it generally starts XP but locks up once desktop loads. :mad:

Old rig:
E6600 Conroe L628A988
OCZ Gold XTC PC6400 DDR800
Fortron Blue Storm 500w PSU
Asus P5WDH DX
Noctua NH-U12 + 120mm fan
eVGA 7950GT

New Rig:
Same E6600
G.Skill HZ PC6400 DDR800 4-4-4-12
Corsair HX620w PSU
eVGA 680i
Same air cooler
eVGA 8800GTS

As I'm typing this and running Orthos I notice the mobo speaker is beeping occasionally and it misses a keystroke. This never happened at this clock speed on the old rig. I think I will clock down overnight to be on the safe side.

Adjusting Vcore up to 1.475 has made no difference in stability. FSB is maxed at 1.5. SPP and MCP at 1.5. Temps seem good, 41c at idle/53c at load.

I tried lowering the multiplier from 9x to 7x and it did the exact same thing on the same FSB attempt (1400 - 1440), so now I don't know if it's the CPU limiting me or the FSB? Strange that both mobo's would block me around the same marker though...

Any ideas? :confused:

reduce the fsb voltage a bit ;) about 1.3 and mcp to 1.4

I couldnt get it stable with too much voltage but once i reduced it a bit everything worked like a charm :santa:

K I tried lowering the FSB and MCP 0.1 each time all the way back to stock, and I get into XP but orthos fails immediately with the same error:

Type: Small FFTs - stress CPU Min: 8 Max: 8 InPlace: Yes Mem: 8 Time: 15
CPU: 3150MHz FSB: 349MHz [350MHz x 9.0 est.]
CPU: 3150MHz FSB: 349MHz [350MHz x 9.0 est.]
12/8/2006 12:52 AM
Launching 2 threads...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.
Test 1, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using 8K FFT length.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 0 minutes 0 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

Update: I'm now at stock volts on everything except vcore is at 1.4. Stilll failing orthos so I lowered multi to 7x (2450mhz) and it is running so far. I am getting keystroke beeping again while it runs.. Has anyone else experienced this beeping with the 680i?

Gonna let this run overnight and give me time to ponder..

Try using just one stick of memory.

Try using only one video card.

What bios are you using?

Well Orthos is still going 7 hours in at 350x7, where 350x9 i couldn't get stable. Keep in mind I am still running all stock volts except vcore is at 1.4. temp is 47c at load.

I haven't tried 1 stick yet.. I'll give that a shot tonight after work. I have only 1 vid card. BIOS is updated to latest for this board (P21).

Ok some quick mucking around before work.. I left the multiplier and voltages as is and jacked the FSB up..

First I tried 500 with no luck of course, then 400, then 380. All 3 failed POST. At 380 I played with voltages, FSB, SPP, MCP and nothing made it POST. Doesn't this seem like behaviour of the mobo being a limitation? at 400x7 i'm only 2.8 ghz, would I should be able to run if everything was fine..

I have found through using task manager and setting the super pi tests to affinity with a specific processor out of the 2 that 1 is usually more prone to fail before the other, which means we could get 1 great clocker and 1 that stinks and holds us back badly.

ninja6o4 said:
Well Orthos is still going 7 hours in at 350x7, where 350x9 i couldn't get stable.

In that case it's your CPU which can't work at higher frequencies.

orion456 said:
In that case it's your CPU which can't work at higher frequencies.

So the mobo is fine, it's just the cpu can't seem to take a FSB higher than 350 or so? 350x7 works, 350x9 doesn't. 340x9 does work.

I think I will try a different cpu.. I mean, on air I should be able to safely hit 3.4 ghz on this bad boy, right? 380x9 or so.. This is frustrating, I actually only wanted 3.2 and i'm stuck at 3.06 / 3.15 unstable :(

OK I did some mucking around, and swapped in another E6600. Immediately I could clock up to 400x9 and it booted. Yay for my bunk CPU! :mad: It froze upon XP desktop. next I removed 1 stick of ram as orion suggested, and it was stable, until I did a memtest.

It failed so I checked further. Turns out the mobo was undervolting the ram at 1.9 when the spec is 2.0-2.1. I bumped it to 2.05 and was stable!!

Currently I am at 400x9 (3.6ghz) @ 63c at load. However, the keyboard is acting REALLY weird. As I type it beeps and keys start acting like other keys. When I stop Orthos the beeping is much less (like 85% less, I had to stop the test to type this msg). Is this an indication that I need to bump the voltage more?

I'm going to clock at 3.2ghz (356x9) @ 60c at load.

on your old rig board i could help you out, but not the new one. I believe you have to do rattle's method of ocing, 50mhz-100mhz at a time, give a little juice to the fsb term, mch, ich and of course play with your mem voltage as well. For example I'm going 2 hrs on orthos right now with randomly deciding to reduce my mem voltage to 1.95 and putting my vcore at the 1.385 setting. I also upped my fsb mch and ich all a notch above the normal voltage (beautiful feature on the asus board showing the colors for higher voltage temps in bios) and FINALLY I seem to have stabilized 3.1 ghz. If you can try it on the asus otherwise yeah check out the evga website or something

ninja6o4 said:
Ok, I made an earlier thread about being stuck on at 3.02 with an E6600.. At first I thought it was my PSU. Anyway, long story short, I have a completely new rig save for case, soundblaster, and cpu. And I'm still limited at 3.02! Going past it generally starts XP but locks up once desktop loads. :mad:

Old rig:
E6600 Conroe L628A988
OCZ Gold XTC PC6400 DDR800
Fortron Blue Storm 500w PSU
Asus P5WDH DX
Noctua NH-U12 + 120mm fan
eVGA 7950GT

New Rig:
Same E6600
G.Skill HZ PC6400 DDR800 4-4-4-12
Corsair HX620w PSU
eVGA 680i
Same air cooler
eVGA 8800GTS

As I'm typing this and running Orthos I notice the mobo speaker is beeping occasionally and it misses a keystroke. This never happened at this clock speed on the old rig. I think I will clock down overnight to be on the safe side.

Adjusting Vcore up to 1.475 has made no difference in stability. FSB is maxed at 1.5. SPP and MCP at 1.5. Temps seem good, 41c at idle/53c at load.

I tried lowering the multiplier from 9x to 7x and it did the exact same thing on the same FSB attempt (1400 - 1440), so now I don't know if it's the CPU limiting me or the FSB? Strange that both mobo's would block me around the same marker though...

Any ideas? :confused:

I keep telling you guys the Bluestorm is fine... I got all the way up to 520FSB. I mean 3ghz is sort of a MINIMUM overclock for any Core 2 Duo. You should be able to hit that with even a 400watt power supply. Now if you were running TWO 7900GTs in SLI, and a water cooler and a slushi machine... I might say it was the power supply. But what on earth made you think the Bluestorm couldn't handle over 3ghz?

You either have an unlucky chip or it's your cooler.

I thought it was the PSU at first because when I was trying to get it running it would just power OFF (not just BSOD and reboot), but all the lights would go out for about 2 seconds, then come back on, POST, starting booting XP and repeat.

In the end I found the problem to be the CPU itself and now that I've got a decent chip, i'm stuck with a busted *** evga 680i board that hates PS/2 connections :(

Anyway, I will probably leave the clock somewhere between 3.2-3.4, any higher and it's around 64-66c at load..

Yeah, I have an MS ergo kb at work I am going to swap :) I need my ergonomics, bad wrists..

The only major problem with my 680i is the PS/2 ports.. They know about it though and are trying to fix it. There's also an issue with my Razer Copperhead - I have to pull out the USB everytime I turn the PC on which is a bit of a pain.

Back