• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

53 IDLE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

So i got some Arctic Silver 5 and put some on my 7800GTX and e6400. My 7800gtx with Zalman VF700 cooler went from 46 idle to 41 idle, and my e6400 with stock cooling went from 50ish idle to 53 idle . Im happy with my gpu temps, but what happened with my cpu temps?

WonderingSoul said:
Reseat it, sounds like bad seating. Plus AS5 needs to cure...

second on the reseat. even with cure time, you should see the same temps or maybe even lower right off the bat; but a 2 degree jump doesn't compute.

make sure your not putting to much AS5 on the CPU ...

Hello,

I hope that I do not sound condescending, but what procedure are you using to apply the TIM (spread/BB size)? What type of contact are getting from the TIM and HSF base? Are you using the stock cooler? How did you clean off the old TIM (scrape/alcohol/Arctic Clean)? What is the condition of the IHS (convex/concave)?

I know these all sound rudimentary, but I have found that the majority of my problems come from by passing the most simplest of things.

I hope you get your problems sorted out,
Bryan d

i cleaned the surface with alcohol. The procedure was a thiiinnnn layer of AS5 on both the TIM and HSF base. The condition is brand new..

GTac02 said:
i cleaned the surface with alcohol. The procedure was a thiiinnnn layer of AS5 on both the TIM and HSF base. The condition is brand new..
You only need the AS5 on one of the surfaces--you've essentially used at least twice as much as you should. See the instructions here.

MVC said:
You only need the AS5 on one of the surfaces--you've essentially used at least twice as much as you should. See the instructions here.
+1 need to put it on one of the surfaces.
Good luck dropping the temps!

At first i was thinking "Ahh, 53 idle, the boys gotta be running intel! Good for him!"
Then i thought "Is he pushing any extra voltage to make it that hot?"
Then i remembered "I dont have a conroe. I really wish i did so i could play too.":beer:

Sleepy_Steve said:
+1 need to put it on one of the surfaces.
Good luck dropping the temps!

At first i was thinking "Ahh, 53 idle, the boys gotta be running intel! Good for him!"
Then i thought "Is he pushing any extra voltage to make it that hot?"
Then i remembered "I dont have a conroe. I really wish i did so i could play too.":beer:

i have the same chip and if i recall correctly ... it idled pretty hot too but i think i had a seating problem with the (at the time) stock zalman cooler (which is pretty lame anyway in it's stock form). i think my temps were up around 49c at idle with an ambient around 25c ... dropped dramatically as i achieved better cooling.

I got a idea... Maybe the 2°C increase is normal.

After all, the GFX card is now 5°C cooler. That simply put means there are more heat emited to the case, because the GFX card is now cooler. Therefore the temperature inside case increased, so the CPU cooler is getting warmer air, and therefore the temperature increase.

So there is nothing to do with it, except increase the fan RPM ;)

PS. about two years ago I got suggested that Arctic Silver 3 is actually better and can shave 2-3 degrees of applied properly over Arctic Silver 5. I won't believe that at first, but I did it on testing machine for test and quess what. After seating 2 - 3°C down.
It of course need theremal cycles, at least 10 of them - heat to max temp for 15min, cool to lowest temp - 15 min. Repeat.
So I changed the TIM to AS3 on all my machines and all got then lower temps :eek: Except my passively cooler server with VIA C3. Upon question with one theoretical guy I learned that in passive heat dissipiation the TIM hardly matter, as the transfer of heat is minimal. Both heatsink and CPU has the exact same temp, unlike in aircooling, where there is strong heat difference between CPU and heatsink because of blowing cold air... ;)

Back