• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering SLI until K8L. Need opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadin

My current system is in my sig, and so far it's given great performance for the investment put into it. I'm noticing some strain with a couple of games, though (EverQuest II for one, just started playing with some friends), so was considering upgrading. The issue, though, is that I'd really want to avoid a full rebuild because I'm saving for K8L.

I considered either getting an eVGA 7950GT, or grabbing a DFI or EPoX SLI board and getting another 7600GT. The only reason I'd go that route is that, one, I've never played with SLI before and it sounds kind of fun. Two, is that I'd like to OC this Opteron some but the 939Dual-SATA2 doesn't seem fantastic for it. My server system is an old dual Pentium 3 450MHz so the ASRock board could be the foundation of finally upgrading that.

Regardless, was just looking for a few opinions to help me decide. Can't do anything until after Christmas, so got some time. Does anyone have a couple of 7600GT's in SLI that could comment on performance?

Just get one newer video card. There's not really much sense in buying a new S939 board just for SLI'd 7600GTs when the cost of the motherboard+second 7600GT would be similar to the price of the new card and you could sell your 7600GT to make the new card cost you even less.

if i were you, i would just add another 1gb of RAM. it's what you really need in MMO games. if you can find a cheap socket 939 board which would be good for Overclocking, by all means. but you don't want to put too money into dead technology.

Back