• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 320GB HD Not recognized, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sa3atsky

Hi,
Just got myself a new Seagate 320GB SATA hard disk running a DFI nforce 250gb motherboard..

The drive is simply not recognized by the pc!

Heres the beef:
Ive installed my hard disk in SATA port 1.
The hard disk is brand new, and physically working but Its not identified by the BIOS nor Windows XP disk management.
I've enabled SATA\RAID controller 1 in the BIOS but nothing happened
I've also installed the SATA\RAID drivers on XP, still nothing.
I tried Seagates' Diskwizard software, no dice.

I've already got 2 IDE hard disks, and 2 cd\dvd drives on the bootup.. I cant edit any boot sequence in the BIOS

From my reading I think I might have to install the SATA drivers through windows xp boot installer and clicking F6 - then installing the SATA drivers through the floppy. Problem is I have no floppy drive!

Help would be greatly appreciated!

try:
-another SATA cable
-removing the little jumper Neur0mancer mentioned
-disconnecting all your PATA drives and just have the new SATA drive

I just installed two of these 320s with no problems.

Good luck.

Limited the jumper to SATA 150 but still the same
BIOS is up latest version.. I hope you dont mean the "f6" route..

Also just tried using a new wire.. and new SATA port..
Still nothing..
I'm running outa ideas

Could I have received a faulty Hard disk?

Last edited:
bump! tried another 320gb hard disk. also didnt work..
Could it be a motherboard-specific problem?

have you actually installed the sata drivers for windows?

It wont detect if you havn't.

and is the HDD detecting in BIOS at all ?

the HD isnt detecting in BIOS at all..
I've already installed the SATA drivers for windows labelled: "nvidia nforce ATA RAID class controller"

even if it wasnt the drive would show in bios detect.

i think if its not showing in bios then you may a busted hdd.

Is it spinning up? when you power on touch the top of drive and feel for vibrations, if there isnt any it could just have been DOA.

even if it wasnt the drive would show in bios detect.
If it's a SATA/RAID controller that has to be turned on in the BIOS, no drives will show until that controller's BIOS is activated.

tuskenraider said:
If it's a SATA/RAID controller that has to be turned on in the BIOS, no drives will show until that controller's BIOS is activated.

I dont have a floppy drive with the pc.. Maybe if I install the nVIDIA RAID DRIVER floppy that came with the mobo when I boot the pc that would fix the problem???

Sa3atsky said:
I dont have a floppy drive with the pc.. Maybe if I install the nVIDIA RAID DRIVER floppy that came with the mobo when I boot the pc that would fix the problem???

I doubt it. The BIOS should detect the drive upon posting. The raid drivers aren't loaded at that point.

I agree with Bender. It sound's like something is toast. Do you have access to another PC w/ SATA to test the drives? If they work in another PC, RMA the motherboard.

Sa3atsky said:
Drivers are only applicable to your OS, not BIOS. According to DFI's site you have the nForce and Marvell SATA controller on that board. You say you enabled a controller so beyond that, there might be another option to select IDE(SATA single drive) or RAID usage. You could also try the other controller as well........

Yes the drive is working perfectly but the BIOS is not identifying it, neither windows.

Back