• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice on Upgrading from a 9600XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HighGuard

Just looking for a new card for another year or two. I've looked around a little bit and decided that the BFG GeForce 7600 GS OC might be a good choice, judging from what the "Upgrade Matrix" displayed (it's not listed but I'm assuming it's somewhat comparable to the higher end GeForce 6000s). I just want to know if upgrading to this video card (or another if you have suggestions) will bring up much of a difference when playing World of Warcraft (currently around 25 fps) on medium-high settings i.e. i'm not sure if it's worth the money, and stuff about Direct3D/OpenGL.

Thanks

System Specs
CPU - P4 3.0 gHz
Motherboard - Sorry, no idea other than it's an Intel board, but I purchased this system nearly 2 years ago (if it's any indication of how it's equipped)
AGP
RAM - 1 GB PC-3500 DD2 (i think it's DDR2) - it's 2x256 and 1x512
Power Supply - Not sure
Current Video Card - Radeon 9600XT All in Wonder

Anything above 20 FPS you wont even notice due to the whole.. human eye thing.. But upgrading to a 7600GS will give you a performance boost and leave you open for new games for the time to come.
Edit- Id say that upgrading to anything higher then a 7600GS on a AGP system wont be very worth wild, specially since your using a P4 (which isnt the best thing in the world) But the 7600 will tide you over for a while.

HighGuard said:
I just want to know if upgrading to this video card (or another if you have suggestions) will bring up much of a difference when playing World of Warcraft (currently around 25 fps) on medium-high settings i.e. i'm not sure if it's worth the money, and stuff about Direct3D/OpenGL.

Thanks

System Specs

RAM - 1 GB PC-3500 DD2 (i think it's DDR2) - it's 2x256 and 1x512

The only thing I'd change about your video card upgrade plan is to get a 7600 GT instead of a GS. They're a little harder to find but it's a much better card than the GS and not too much more expensive. I just bought one for my own AGP system. Last I checked zipzoomfly had some for $179 I think.

Anyhow, that aside, I highly suggest you also invest in another Gig of ram. WoW is ridiculously ram-intensive. Speaking from my own experience, an extra gig makes a huge difference.

dmcs414 said:
The only thing I'd change about your video card upgrade plan is to get a 7600 GT instead of a GS. They're a little harder to find but it's a much better card than the GS and not too much more expensive. I just bought one for my own AGP system. Last I checked zipzoomfly had some for $179 I think.

Anyhow, that aside, I highly suggest you also invest in another Gig of ram. WoW is ridiculously ram-intensive. Speaking from my own experience, an extra gig makes a huge difference.

I'd go with a 6800gs. Bang for buck you can't beat the card and the 7xxx series may be a bit overkill for your rig.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...036&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER

Yes, another gig of ram would be your best bet. Once I gave WoW 2GB of RAM it ran very smooth. I can max everything and still get over 45fps constant with my rig.

Back