• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK 8800 GTX Blocks are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebkoolindc

HERE they are. I can't find any reviews yet. So who is going to buy one and tell me about the performance. A Xtreme thread is HERE

FC8800a.jpg

GF8800GTXb.jpg

ek8800gtx2dq6.jpg

I hope a retailer in the US will carry them soon. I don't want to mail a check halfway across the world.

Last edited:
I poked around the Xtreme forums to look at the compition and found people with Danger den blocks. The insides didn't look all to impressive. LINKY

These are pics of the DD block. Notice that the fins over the GPU are very short.

IMGP1968.jpg

IMGP1964.JPG

IMGP1963.JPG

IMGP1962.JPG

IMGP1967.jpg

Performance results HERE

I just got this block from DD today, installed it on an evga 880gtx, Sort of a pain to install had to cut the individual thermal pads and pretty skimpy on the supplied grease. Anyway I have to say I'm impressed with the results. With the stock cooler I was seeing 59-63c and 82 c loaded @ 625/920. With this block I'm seeing 36-38C idle and 45c loaded at @ 650/945.

Another guy with the DD blocks is at [H] forum. He has SLI and
The waterblocks did a great job of lowering idle and load temps....Idle went from 60C to 45C and load went from 70C to 55C!!

Last edited:
I want one but don't have the funds right yet. Should be a good block.
I am also assuming that it'll work on a GTS or he is going to make one in the future...

custom90gt said:
I want one but don't have the funds right yet. Should be a good block.
I am also assuming that it'll work on a GTS...

NO!! :eek: :eek:

GTX and GTS blocks have different mounting points and have different components to cover. They are NOT compatible.

Swiftec also has their 8800 block out. It is more a bracket to hold there old gpu block on the new cards. I worry that the ram, MOSFETS and RAMDAC won't stay cool enough. If NVIDIA put a heatsink on them they must generate a bit if heat.

mcw60-G80-adapter.jpg

A Xtreme thread about them is HERE

He thows a fan on there and says everything is cool.
The ramdac hasn't gotten hot at all so far. Maybe it cooks in sli, I don't know yet...
Temps full load 61c at 1.55v gpu and 1.99v mem

Anybody here with experience?

Last edited:
I am sure Ill be buying an EK block for my X2800XTX or 8800GTX when I go DX10, I have been pretty impressed with the performance I have seen others get with it.

~jtjuska

Look at the difference between the Danger Den block and the EK block

The water channel in the DD block is like maybe 1/8" in the copper block....most of the water travels in the plastic top!

Whereas Eddy's has the cover flush mounted and all the water is traveling through the block itself.

And then there's the $35 price difference!

Hmm... EK should be charging more money for his blocks, he's not making very much from them by the looks of it.

DD is using casts then machining a tiny bit of excess copper to make the channels, whereas EK is taking a whole block and machining it down.

Either that or DD is overcharging and/or inefficient with their manufacturing process.

So many Ramsinks on that Swiftech cooling solution!

I think we just need to get the word out on the EK blocks so that ppl buy them. That'll help make up for his lower price.

And I'd bet that DD is just marking those blocks up by a HUGE margin.

The machining quality on DD's block pale in comparison to EK's. I'm sure they're saving a bunch on copper costs.

As for ED's GTX/GTS compatability, the GTS uses a different' aluminum attachment to cool the different PCB, but same copper part.

The contact of the EK block is awsome! With all those different points they still pull it off flawlessly.

Eddy_EK said:
Some more pictures:

FABULOUS!!! :drool: :drool:

Are the GTS versions ready to go? I'm ready to pay for 2 of them as soon as you have them up for sale!

Yeah, Eddy's block is much more refined than DD's. Can't comment on performance of either but fit and finish is tops for Eddy!

So when are retailers in the US going to carry the blocks? I don't think most people want to deal with mailing a check halfway across the globe.

Zeb

Back