• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big problem...XP won't boot anymore on eVGA 680i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myrockfight

Registered
Ok. I went to play Pacific Fighters and my joystick wasn't being recognized. So I checked to see if it was plugged in properly. It wasn't. I plugged it in and Windows still didn't recognize it. So I decided to reboot.

On the reboot, it started a memory test (which I didn't specify for in the setup), then it gave me a mouse error.

I figured something little and goofy might be going on and pressed F1 to continue booting anyway.

It says "Veryfiying DMI Pool Data.......", which is normal. Then it is supposed to start booting Windows, but it doesn't. It says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

It obviously didn't do that before. So I stuck the Windows set-up disc and restarted. The cd-drive recognized the cd (the little light flashed several times on the front of the disk drive), but it still won't load Windows.

I don't know if it isn't recognizing the hard drive anymore or what. I did not make any changes at all. All I can think is that something got automatically updated and screwed everything up with the BIOS settings.

I just don't know how to make everything right again. Anyone have any ideas or can you walk me through this? I am not a complete newb, but I don't have a lot of experience with these problems. I did however, put the computer together and it has run very well up to this point (almost a month).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Ok...fixed. Kinda

I went ahead and loaded the default BIOS settings.

Now Windows loads properly. But when I access the Nvidia Control panel, it is slow to react to my clicks on changes.

For example, when I click on the "Direct Fan Control" under "System Fans", it is slow to let me adjust the slider. Kind of wierd.

Any ideas? I am running 3GB of RAM. The 2GB listed below and also a 1GB stick of Crucial Anniversary at 5300.

Uh...now the whole thing froze after I hit apply in the Nvidia Control Panel.

THis is weird.

Are you using a ps2 mouse and/or keyboard? There have been problems with those on that board.

PS, I'd drop the extra 1 gig ram at least for testing right now.

No I am not using a PS2 mouse. I read the same thing. I am using a microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard.

I was thinking the same thing with the RAM. I will do that and see how it goes.

I just tried to play Pacific Fighters again and it kicked me off the game in the middle of a fight. Kind of odd. It may have been because an activation message for some software came on, but I am not sure. Going to give it another go.

Thanks for the idea. Very good point. I wish it was that simple, just so I could know that was the problem.

if your running xp you might try system restore.it may help if your drivers were screwed up somehow.another thing you could try is the repair option with the xp disc.try the fixboot option.ive had to run the repair console quite a few times with win2k and it works with boot errors pretty well.

i saw those too.i decided to wait for rd600 or at least a new revision of the 680i.hopefully itll get sorted out soon.

Same problem here. I updated my bios and now I get the disk error. I can't seem to get it to work. It was running fine before I updated the bios. All my drives including cdrom are sata, I'm thinking this is the trouble others are talking about.

Timd said:
Same problem here. I updated my bios and now I get the disk error. I can't seem to get it to work. It was running fine before I updated the bios. All my drives including cdrom are sata, I'm thinking this is the trouble others are talking about.

I am starting to see some wierd stuff,my mouse is all over the place,and my web pages change to a previous page I had visited,it has been rock stable for a week and now this,not sure what to think.

Dude i just built my new rig yesterday. And am having the same exact problems. The ps2 mouse thing... then bam disk boot failure. I as you did figured all i had to do was load default settings. but what the hell is this???? I have nothing SATA in my computer? Does this mean.... that there is something else.... or is this a part of the whole SATA thing? Also when i finally got back into windows.... it was like hey you have new audio device the HD onboard one.... but then it realized i had already installed them and they worked.... but it was weird for it to recognize again. Man i am so ****ed? anyone know anymore

Fourevercali said:
Dude i just built my new rig yesterday. And am having the same exact problems. The ps2 mouse thing... then bam disk boot failure. I as you did figured all i had to do was load default settings. but what the hell is this???? I have nothing SATA in my computer? Does this mean.... that there is something else.... or is this a part of the whole SATA thing? Also when i finally got back into windows.... it was like hey you have new audio device the HD onboard one.... but then it realized i had already installed them and they worked.... but it was weird for it to recognize again. Man i am so ****ed? anyone know anymore
What bios are you running??
The new P23 bios seems to have fixed the SATA issue,but may have created others.
Check this out for more info:
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26

Back