• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming and macs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fault&fracture

ive been thinking about this for a little while and i wanna throw it out there for discussion... ive when i look at the x box 360 specs it doesnt really look any better than a mid to high end pc these days... yet pc's with those specs dont seem to be able to produce things near as pretty... the only reason for this, in my mind, is that the 360 has set hardware that the developers know and isnt going to change. this is also the case with the mac. macs dont really have much variation in their hardware, atleast, not near as much as pcs. so if a game was developed only for a mac, wouldnt it be capable of producing better graphics than a pc? or am i overlooking some key facts in my hypothesis?

Not at all. Macs aren't even different from PCs any longer since they use Intel processors. They only differ in using EFI as opposed to a BIOS. The 360 uses PPC processors (3 of them) and they are RISC based which is easier to program for. They COULD make some great Mac games for a Quad-core G5 with a 7900GTO graphics card but that would be a $3000 machine. Then what'd be the point? Macs aren't for games, they're for media.

Back