• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my PSU is on its way out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewbee

So at work we have this POS cpu only ment for running quickbooks.

Here is a printscreen of speedfan and cpuz

Now the 12v is at 12.22 is that to high cause the cpu turn off after about 20min of use and then we have to unlug the cable and replug it to start it up. Ran spybot and adaware and pc cillin cleared up everything that was found and still. Any feedback would be good.

thanks.

What board? I bet it doesn't even use the +12V for the CPU. Probably the +5V. 47C is kind of high for a .18 Athlon XP. Sure the CPU fan doesn't have a bunch of fur in it causing it to overheat and shut down?

MOBO: ECS Elitegroup K7SEM

and the cpu fan is running but has a wierd sound to it, lie the bearings are out of wack or something like that.

That board is a 5v based one. Check the capacitors on the board - ECS isn't known for using the best you can get.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
That board is a 5v based one. Check the capacitors on the board - ECS isn't known for using the best you can get.

Well i removed the old stick of ram and it seems to be running fine. temp is still at a high 50c but the pc has been on now for about 4hours straight and hasnt restarted so i dont think it is the psu. Well any ways im switching it over to a dell that we had running around. Should have no problem then. thanks for all the help.

Honestly: As a compooter hardwear tecknishun, 75% of the time when someone brings me a PC that reboots, thinking it's a PSU problem, it's actually a RAM problem. :D

RAM goes "dump" data goes "bye bye....." There's nothing for a PC to do but reboot.

But you said "shut down" and "unplug" which wouldn't be RAM. If a PC hard shuts down and requires a power cycle, that's usually temperature or voltage or trip.

jonnyGURU said:
Honestly: As a compooter hardwear tecknishun, 75% of the time when someone brings me a PC that reboots, thinking it's a PSU problem, it's actually a RAM problem. :D

RAM goes "dump" data goes "bye bye....." There's nothing for a PC to do but reboot.

But you said "shut down" and "unplug" which wouldn't be RAM. If a PC hard shuts down and requires a power cycle, that's usually temperature or voltage or trip.

well it was running at 50c all day yesterday after i pulled the old stick of ram out. never restart or anything. for the remainder of the day. So im guessing it was the ram that caused it. But today is the day i do the swap to the dell pc i have siting aroiund a junk this thing for good.

Back