• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey me build a budget system please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trendx

Hey guys I really want to help my mom put together a nice computer for my sister, her boyfriend got her into WoW, yes i know what a loser. Everyone knows CS is by far the best.. just kidding. Well anyways im trying to build her a complete system geared towards gaming for around 800 dollars, not including the monitor. If anyone can help me out I would be really happy! Thanks for the help. PS. I would prefer the system to not rely on hardcore overclocking since i dont live close to her I wouldnt be able to tweak it often.

for an E6300 and DS3 mobo it would cost 300 bucks
for a X2 3800+ and an abit mobo (newegg combo) it's 200 bucks but you'll need a heatsink, so add another 30.
stock those 2 chips are close to each other in terms of performance.
for RAM:
2x1gb of PC5400 is 180 bucks
PSU, sunbeam NUUO 550, 75 bucks
optical, 30 (tons to choose from)
HDD...figure around 70 (WD 200gb is 70)
case 50
7900GS or X1900GT are 150
and that's right around 800 for the AMD setup and 850 with intel...if your not gonna OC then stay AMD as your not gonna gain much by going intel if your not gonna OC the E6300

^^ pretty much the best bang for your buck right there.
Although, I would look at a single rail +12v PSU, as opposed to the Sunbeam.

I would tend to say that the E6300+DS3 is the better buy IMO, but both computers will do everything that they would need it to and more. In either case what ajrettke said is a good buy.

~jtjuska

If you are building a computer for WoW exclusively, then a C2D is way overkill. I'd get in to a cheap single core (4000+ or higher), possible dual core (opteron 165), athlon 64 socket 939 and only get 1 gig of ram. You might even be able to jump in to socket AM2 for cheap, which will give you more future upgradability than the socket 939. With the money you save, I'd upgrade the video card. THe 7900gs is great and will be perfect for WoW, and anything higher will be great also.

My athlon64 4000+ single core with my 7950gt allow me to run WoW with everything maxed, 1680x1050, at 60fps.

splat said:
If you are building a computer for WoW exclusively, then a C2D is way overkill. I'd get in to a cheap single core (4000+ or higher), possible dual core (opteron 165), athlon 64 socket 939 and only get 1 gig of ram.
My athlon64 4000+ single core with my 7950gt allow me to run WoW with everything maxed, 1680x1050, at 60fps.
I was going to say almost the same thing... but, he sounded like he really wanted to spend $800.
Spending less on the CPU/Mobo, and getting a better video card is always a good idea for a gaming/email/internet machine.

splat said:
If you are building a computer for WoW exclusively, then a C2D is way overkill. I'd get in to a cheap single core (4000+ or higher), possible dual core (opteron 165), athlon 64 socket 939 and only get 1 gig of ram. You might even be able to jump in to socket AM2 for cheap, which will give you more future upgradability than the socket 939. With the money you save, I'd upgrade the video card. THe 7900gs is great and will be perfect for WoW, and anything higher will be great also.

what a great input.
interesting

I did originaly have the 7950GT in there but I dropped my RAM to 1gb...the more I thought about it I think going to 2gb and dropping the vid card to a 7900GS (look into the X1900GT though, it might be the better choice) was a more sound solution since even WoW is starting to eat up 1gb and with vista and other programs coming along 1gb isn't going to cut it.
Also, dual core is definetly the way to go, yes most games don't use it, but when multitasking and future games (hopefully very soon, not 2+ years) will start to take advantage of it

Back