• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi-core supported games...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pkw111

Registered
So the specific piece of info I am looking for is whether Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is single-threaded or is it optimized to take advantage of the two cores in my coming AMD64 X2 4800+. But I am happy to have a discussion about what othe4r coming games support multi-threading.

I know Unreal engine 3 and the Source engine and the Cry engine are jumping in the ring.

I also suspect John Carmack will be looking to take advantage of this too, but for now we know Doom III does not take advantage of multiple cores. Both Quake IV and ET:QW use a 'heavily modified' version of the Doom III engine - but they are not both modified the same.

Thoughts? Answers? Hopes?

There are some chess builds on the internet that use multi core CPUs, of course the graphics arent the first priority for the game.

I don't think the Unreal 3 engine natively supports dual core systems. Rainbow Six Vegas runs on that engine, but it does not have dual core support.

Quake 3 was somewhat multithreaded, and Doom 3 and Quake 4 were too (though it didn't boost performance much), but since all subsequent ID-family games have been built on enhanced versions of the same engine, I'm sure Quake Wars will be.

Correct me if im wrong but i thought Splinter Cell: Double Agent was optimized for dual cores when i got it it worked for the first few times then started messing up and once i turned a core off it was fine. So the question is "dual core ready" really working with all dual cores?

Edit:Yea it says the dual core stuff on box.

Back