• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

Hey all!

I have a quick question about wireless networks. I am planning on hooking one up in my house between at least three of my computers. The only problem is, my house DOES NOT have DSL/Cable/Broadband. We're stuck in the stone age with 56k. Is a wireless connection still do-able without a connection to the internet, or do wireless routers REQUIRE access to the internet?

My thoughts:
Wireless routers should be able to be configured THROUGH the network (i.e. hook it up, find its home IP (127.0.0.1 i believe is the standard) and subnet mask, then configure the computer's IP and subnet mask to fit. This would allow configuration of the wireless router's IP and Subnet mask through the network...or would it?

Isn't AD-HOC mode just communication between every element on a Wireless Network? Thus, wouldnt it be possible to have the three computers all connected (wirelessly of course) to the wireless router, and have the wireless router connected wirelessly (gigagasp!) to the three computers without a WAN connection?

Please help me with this ASAP. If you have a hard time decrypting my message (my explainations suck) then ask me and I'll try to explain better! :-/)

Thanks all!

Yes, you can setup a wireless network without a connection to the internet. You will only be able to communicate and share resources between your local computers, but yes, it will absolutely work.

Ad-Hoc mode means two computers with wireless cards can communicate directly with eachother without needing a wireless access point.

Use rj45 port on pc directly connected to internet, connect said pc to a net router r switch effectively run the network wizard to allow now netwkd pcs to access the internet.

I only want to do it so that I stop stringing CAT5 cable through my hallways...so would a wireless network work like that - could I use it for my games? I also wanna share documents over it - that should be fine too? I'm under the impression it's no different than say a wired network, just without wires...but it follows the same protocals and concepts....

Shadowhawk109 said:
I only want to do it so that I stop stringing CAT5 cable through my hallways...so would a wireless network work like that - could I use it for my games? I also wanna share documents over it - that should be fine too? I'm under the impression it's no different than say a wired network, just without wires...but it follows the same protocals and concepts....

In essence it works the same. Games should work fine. If you share files expect it to be slower than if you were using the cable. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that you are going to have to make sure you secure your wireless network too. Other than that it is more or less the same.

Thats true it'll work out just fine using a wireless router and as TalRW said the protocols are in essence the same but not.
As mentioned it's not secure and you will most definately sacrifice a fraction of your speed once you make it secure.

Back