• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with new Silverstone ST56ZF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

I looked around and decided this would be the perfect power supply for my system and got it in the mail yesterday. It is perfect except for one thing. I didn't realize it had an 8-pin CPU connector instead of a 4-pin. This a big problem with the Ultra-D, which takes a 4-pin connector that is smashed between a capacitor and the 24-pin connector, so there is no chance of using the 8-pin connector at all.

Does anyone have any idea if I can rig this up to work in my Ultra-D. I'm hoping maybe someone else has the same power supply and motherboard.

I do notice that the 8-pin connector is a very simple black and yellow arrangement of wires, which I believe just means they are extra 12V lines. I think maybe I could frankenstein on a 4 pin connector or just plug the wires directly into the board with a little electrical tape protection. Any thoughts from the power supply gurus?

I bought this from a place called Sundialmicro.com. They have a 9.99 lifetime reseller rating and had it for $109 + $15 shipping. I would recommend buying from them if you want this supply a little cheaper than elsewhere.

Ok I'm an idiot...just found the 8-pin to 4-pin adapter...this is now officially the perfect power supply

SundialMicro is now out of stock... I thought of picking up another one this morning and checked.

As for your question, the PSU should have came with an 8-pin to 4-pin adapter. Both of ones I've got now had the adapter. If you didn't get one, contact Silverstone; I'm sure they'd send you one.

MVC said:
SundialMicro is now out of stock... I thought of picking up another one this morning and checked.

As for your question, the PSU should have came with an 8-pin to 4-pin adapter. Both of ones I've got now had the adapter. If you didn't get one, contact Silverstone; I'm sure they'd send you one.

ya I looked through the box after I posted and found it...thanks for your help

oh the price is actually $125.00 before shipping now...I must have got it while it was on sale

Another guy was posting a link to deadeyedata, where it is going for $122. Here is the link:

http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33&products_id=103

I was getting ready to answer some of your questions.... lol
But now that its resolved, I can be the second one to give you a hands down opinion that this PSU kicks some serious ARSE.

It powered my E6700 Conroe @ 4.35 GHz while at the same time stressing an EVGA 8800GTX overclocked to 660/1040.. And 12v/5v budged less than .05volts from 12.19 to 12.14, 5v was almost spot on. I gamed for a maximum of 4 hours so far, using those settings and playing GRAW...

Cheers.

squads said:
ya I looked through the box after I posted and found it...thanks for your help

oh the price is actually $125.00 before shipping now...I must have got it while it was on sale

Another guy was posting a link to deadeyedata, where it is going for $122. Here is the link:

http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33&products_id=103
Yeah, I was posting the same time as you were--look at the time stamps :)

SundialMicro had it for $109 about a week ago. I'm planning a new build, but I was holding off until I had a good idea of what I'd be using. Unless I see a real good price I guess I'll be waiting until after Christmas--should be plenty of sales then :)

Back